Discuss lighting circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I'm a recently qualified electrician and my mind just can't completely solve this one. My relative in scotland has had their house rewired. when you turn the bathroom light switch on the two bedroom lights go off and the switches in the bedroom won't work. When you turn the bathroom light off, you can work the two bedroom lights independently from their own switches. I'm guessing it has to do with the loop but just can'r figure out what. I do hope some of this problem solving becomes more second nature in future :)

sonia

Apologies - read it too quickly and didn't spot it said re-wire. Doh!

How is it wired?, 3plate, joint box, etc.

Its a single switch plate, to a single ceiling rose, but it is a 4 halogen light. the switch is in the hall and the two bedroom lights are before the bathroom on the circuit. so basically when you turn the bathroom light on the two lights at the beginning of the circuit stop working.

it's obviously been wired in anticipation of scotland's independence. making sure that nothing will work right again. :dita:

Weird that, I would have expected the loop wiring would be going through the bathroom and then on to the bedrooms and that someone has taken the "live" feed from the switched side of the two way switch for the bathroom so that when the two way switch is on the other side is off.
Because you say that the bedroom lights are before the bathroom then this is not possible.
Nothing except a short circuit should affect lights before the fitting.
three lights one way switching.jpg

Its a single switch plate, to a single ceiling rose, but it is a 4 halogen light. the switch is in the hall and the two bedroom lights are before the bathroom on the circuit. so basically when you turn the bathroom light on the two lights at the beginning of the circuit stop working.

How do you know where beginning or the end of circuit is if you haven't wired?

Just asking

Time to get the clown who wired it back to put it right at his/her expense. Either that or it's a chance for you to look good by sorting this out. If it's standard 3 plate wiring then it's straight forward enough. Bell everything out and it's free deep fried mars bars and Tennents Super Strength for you :)

How would you know this if you haven't looked at the job yet?

EDIT
Just noticed post #10 (slow typer - sorry!)

Reply to lighting circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net