Discuss Lighting Wiring Enquiry Question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question that I am hoping someone here will be able to help me with.

In the diagram below I have Light 1 wired to Switch 1 from the feed that is working fine as needs to remain as is.

Light 2 with Switch 2 needs to be wired from switch 1 as I do not have access to take the wire live feed from Light 1.

I have a cable running from Light 2 to Switch 2 as shown in the diagram.

All I want to do is to get Light 2 working by using the wires from Switch 1 by looping somehow so both light work independently from their own switches.

lighting-diagram-1.jpg

If anyone can give me the solution it will be much appreciated?

Regards
Fred

Only possible if there are some spare cores in the original cable between switch 1 and light or switch 1 and feed.

Post a picture but I am not hopeful.

Only possible if there are some spare cores in the original cable between switch 1 and light or switch 1 and feed.

Post a picture but I am not hopeful.

Hi James, thank you for your reply however at the moment I don't have any photos other than the diagram I drew which is a duplication of the wiring, but gather from what you are saying is without the live feed looping from light 1 to light 2 its not possible?

Regards
Fred

Does the feed cable come into the switch box?
Is this a 2 gang switch?
What happened to the feed to Light 2?

Reactions: DPG
Does the feed cable come into the switch box?
Is this a 2 gang switch?
What happened to the feed to Light 2?
Hi Timbo, I have just fitted Light 2 and Switch 2 and was hoping to use the wire feeding from Switch 1 in to Switch 2 so I could get Light 2 functioning

Yes it is a 2 gang switch I am using

The feed cable goes directly to Light 1

Hope this explains better?
Regards
Fred

Just read your latest reply again so edited the below:

If the feed wire goes directly to Light 1, then the cable to the switch is not a live/neutral, but a live in and switched live back.

That would mean there is no neutral at your switch, which means you can't use it directly to feed light 2.

Is Light 2 a newly installed fitting, or an existing one you are separating from light 1? Are the colours correct?

If there was a neutral at the switch (would be black or blue depending on age, but not connected to the switch terminals), then there might be a way of wiring it, but without more info it's not possible to confirm.

Fred, you have stated that you can't get between L1 and L2, so you will need to run another cable from L1 to switch in order to get a neutral there, or replace the existing with a 3c + e.

The solution to getting a neutral to where you need it might be simple enough.
Can you tell how it’s wired? Is it in conduit, flat grey cable plastered into wall???

Is light 2 and switch 2 an addition to an existing system?

can you get above the ceiling? Run a new neutral between the lights?

have you checked what is present at the light fittings? If it’s 3 plate, you might have everything you need. (If there’s no neutral joint in back of switch)

Reply to Lighting Wiring Enquiry Question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net