Discuss List of acronyms in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Trainee= Five week wonder!
DI= Domestic Installer!
BESNA= Building Engineering Services "National Agreement"!
Mob= Rogue Company not adhering to nationally recognised terms and conditions!
JIB= Joint Industry Board for the Electrical Contracting Industry of England and Wales
SJIB= Scottish Joint Industry Board
Unite the Union= The official electricians union for the protection of terms and conditions, safety and training of electricians.
ECA= Electrical Contractors Association of England and Wales and represents the interests of member companies.
SELECT= Electrical Contractors Association of Scotland.
HASAWA1974etc= Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 etc. This is an Act of Parliament and is an enforcing law under legislation.
EAWR1989= Electricity at Work Regulations 1989. This is a set of regulations designed to help the HASAWA1974etc to be implemented in the electrical industry.
BS7671:2008= This is the 17th Edition Wiring Regulations and is the basic standards required to be met by all persons carrying out electrical work and is used by HASAWA1974etc in court to show whether or not electrical installations were installed to the basic requirements deemed necessary under law.
Approved Electrician= This is a JIB/SJIB grade of a fully qualified electrician with a minimum of two years on site experience and has a full working knowledge of the BS7671:2008, EAWR1989, HASAWA1974etc, The National Working Rules for the Electrical Contracting Industry, has the skills to carry out a full range of electrical activities as required in all sectors, can run jobs, train apprentices and above all else is deemed to be "competent" under the eyes of the law!
JIB/SJIB Rule book= This is the bible for electricians working for a member company.
Ragged Trousered Philanthropists= This is the construction bible for all!!!
SCAB=
After God had finished the rattlesnake, the toad, and the vampire, he had some awful substance left with which he made a scab.

A scab is a two-legged animal with a corkscrew soul, a water brain, a combination backbone of jelly and glue.

Where others have hearts, he carries a tumor of rotten principles.

When a scab comes down the street, men turn their backs and angels weep in heaven, and the devil shuts the gates of hell to keep him out.

No man (or woman) has a right to scab so long as there is a pool of water to drown his carcass in, or a rope long enough to hang his body with.

Judas was a gentleman compared with a scab. For betraying his master, he had character enough to hang himself. A scab has not.

Esau sold his birthright for a mess of pottage.

Judas sold his Savior for thirty pieces of silver.

Benedict Arnold sold his country for a promise of a commision in the british army.

The scab sells his birthright, country, his wife, his children and his fellowmen for an unfulfilled promise from his employer.

Esau was a traitor to himself; Judas was a traitor to his God; Benedict Arnold was a traitor to his country.

A scab is a traitor to his God, his country, his family and his class.

Author --- Jack London (1876-1916)

NO SCABS!

Last edited by a moderator:
must have got my sums wrong. was 1/9d in 1966 when i started.

In 1969 my parents ran a pub. A pint was 11d (4.5p) in the smoke room, 1 shilling (5p) in the bar and 1 and a penny (5.5p) in the lounge. You could have a right good night out on 10 shillings. A couple or more pints, a packet of smokes, a bag of fish'n'chips, bus fare home and still have 6d change.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359226041.030724.jpg
not an acronym as such, but handy I spose

Reply to List of acronyms in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net