Discuss Live wire taped off in the loft. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ariel-still-no-signal-20293176.png

As it is a fairly new build I would be informing the builders of the dangerous condition that the building has been left in. I wonder how many other properties have the same in the loft?

New build suggests its recent. Concur with Strima, get bob the builder back to sort out.

Is that @buzzlightyear s full name Pete?
It’s rather posh!
I prefer Buzz an air of mystery, just what this forum needs the Buzz files, sounds OK ? if it was televised who would play Buzz? Dominic Cumberbatch would be my choice, ugly yet strangely mysterious, bit like Me. But Buzz sounds better than Pete don't you think? Think I'll change my name to be Mysterious, something like the pedanterous, or maybe Toolman. several other names I could think of but I would get a ban if I typed them.

Last edited:
You could try by turning every mcb off, then turn them on one by one while checking the cable until it becomes live again, then you’ll know which mcb it’s connected to.

Could well be a supply for a loft socket that whoever first bought the house didn't want to pay extra for, so was never fitted. Either a spur off somewhere (if live), or not actually terminated in the consumer unit (if not actually live, just picking up stray voltage due to proximity to other live cables).

If its a new house it could have been put up there for future use. How did you test it was live.

Recently did a wetroom in a new house, had a mixer shower switching to an electric shower. Found a 10mm in the board taped up with the other end in the loft ready. Had a semi all day after finding that, saved half a days work.

If its a new house it could have been put up there for future use. How did you test it was live.

Recently did a wetroom in a new house, had a mixer shower switching to an electric shower. Found a 10mm in the board taped up with the other end in the loft ready. Had a semi all day after finding that, saved half a days work.
What a semi detached?

Aerial! Gees.

All these jokes are Cillet Bang out of order.
Daz n’t say much for the experts suggestions here.
Persil.... persil?.... no can’t think.

Give it time, I might have a Flash of inspiration.

OP. For the sake of safety, isolate all power in the house, check the cable is dead and terminate it properly in a secured joint box.
Then you can finish flooring the attic and worry about getting a spark to check it another time

Aerial! Gees.

All these jokes are Cillet Bang out of order.
Daz n’t say much for the experts suggestions here.
Persil.... persil?.... no can’t think.

Give it time, I might have a Flash of inspiration.

OP. For the sake of safety, isolate all power in the house, check the cable is dead and terminate it properly in a secured joint box.
Then you can finish flooring the attic and worry about getting a spark to check it another time

well, this post has certainly wiped the floor.

Reply to Live wire taped off in the loft. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net