Discuss Looking For Advice - becoming An Electrician With A Criminal Record in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Go for it mate. I’m a ‘rozer’ Normally referred to as ‘pig’ down in this neck of the woods. As others have said some jobs may be restrictive and require declaration of previous. The key is not to lie as you get in more ---- if you’re found out. I just did a short intensive course with a one of the Electrical Trainee companies who I won’t recommend but one of my tutors had done time and he was very good. Trust is earned. You turn up do the job no problem. Might be hard but go for it. :thumbsup:

The problem I had with some of the Young Offenders I employed is they wore their convictions like a badge of honour, I overheard a few of them comparing how bad they had been, this is not conducive to continued employment, but and its a big but some others have been the best workers I could have wished for, the problem is identifying them prior to employment, six moth trial periods seemed to work, but don't know if that is allowed anymore.

Matt as others have said, be honest with a prospective employer it will be respected and appreciated if they turn you down because of your past, they where not a company worth working for.

I'm a bit old school in these things and attitudes may have changed in the workplace, but not human nature.

Mike

All sorts of characters in the electrical industry. I started work on a firm that considered it a requirement to have a bit of an interesting background.

Don't be put off, just as others said be honest when its relevant.

Just thought I would post an update. I started working as a labourer 6 months ago after getting a placement through my Probation Officer. I have worked hard and stayed out of trouble and just found out I will be starting an appretiship next month so things are looking good for me right now
Good for you Mate hope it all goes well for you, and stay out of any bother,.

Just thought I would post an update. I started working as a labourer 6 months ago after getting a placement through my Probation Officer. I have worked hard and stayed out of trouble and just found out I will be starting an appretiship next month so things are looking good for me right now
As above. Well done and good luck :thumbsup:

Good man :)

Keep it up.

That's good news. You must have impressed your employer. Good luck with your apprenticeship and your career.

You should consider joining the trainee section. I believe there is loads of info and people there which could help with your college work etc.

The only profession that’s left where you can get away with lying these days is politics, which is why this country is in a mess. If you make a mistake, admit it and people will respect you. Most of the ---- that is coming out in the news these days is due to people making mistakes and then lying to cover it up.

The only people without a criminal record are those who were never found out or caught. No difference between stealing a penny or a hundred pounds!

Chin up and do your best to be a good electrician!

You want to work in the building trade mate not join the Rozzers, no one care about your criminal convictions and most won’t even ask.

My son interviewed for a job with the MET. They don't reject you on the basis of a criminal offence as long as you tell them about it. Except for kerb crawling, which is unforgivable to them.

Kerb crawling used to be an integral part of the job from what I remember. Late turn CID was normally spent in the pub so it was the only way most detectives could find their way home :cool:

Read my post as APPLICANTS cannot be accepted if previously been convicted of kerb crawling.

Once on the job the police can do anything they want, they may enforce the law but consider themselves to be above it.

I have employed a fellow and continue to now and again with a drug conviction as a labourer, but his conviction was 25 years ago with 25 years proof that he is no longer a criminal.

I would not employ any one who has a criminal record unless they have proven over a long period of time (15years or more) that there criminal days are over. And even then I would employ someone else over them even if they where the better candidate.

There are and should be consequences of criminal behaviour.

I have employed a fellow and continue to now and again with a drug conviction as a labourer, but his conviction was 25 years ago with 25 years proof that he is no longer a criminal.

I would not employ any one who has a criminal record unless they have proven over a long period of time (15years or more) that there criminal days are over. And even then I would employ someone else over them even if they where the better candidate.

There are and should be consequences of criminal behaviour.

Surely the prison sentence was the consequence and the debt to society paid in full .

I'm sure everyone wishes they could go back and undo something, but we just have to get on with our lives .

Reply to Looking For Advice - becoming An Electrician With A Criminal Record in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net