• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss LTD Company Directors Salary and CIS in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Hoping you can help me as I am a bit confused with CIS payments and Directors salaries etc. I recently set up my LTD company and just starting to trade. I am meeting my accountant next week and hopefully they will be able to shed a more comprehensive view on the matter. Basically if I do labour only work for example of £2,000 and the Contractor subtracts 20% for CIS giving me a nett pay of £1,600 if I then want to pay myself that as part of a directors PAYE salary I need to subtract tax from my nett pay again?

If someone could clarify or perhaps make it more clear for me I would greatly appreciate it. Seems a bit mad that you would get a 20% deduction and then a further reduction again before walking away with a basic wage and I have yet to find a clear answer on this.

If you are earning below a certain level then LTD Co may no be beneficial to you, your accountant will need to confirm the deduction for CIS as maybe you should be paying it as you bill the contractor. As LTD Co you pay yourself about £640 PCM and the rest in dividends, keep receipts for expenditure, travel and lunches. Check the NI rate as I think its the basic rate rate you pay, are you VAT or Nill VAT registered?

Remember office equipment, tools, computers are all tax deductible if used 100% for your business. (IT Contractor here LTD Co, don't ask me about the Christmas Tree and the Brompton bike ;o))))) )

Upvote 0
Ignore me - I'm talking gash (accept the receipts but).

Good luck btw!

If you are operating as a business CIS should not be taken away as you invoice for a service provided and you are not an employee of the contractor. Your accountant will be able to advise the full story, but take receipts for everything work related.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I do work that gets paid both ways. By invoice it goes into the company account and I get paid from that after deductions.
If I'm paid as an "employee" and deductions have already been taken I pay it into the company and take it directly out as is (as deductions already taken) I let the accountant sort it out at the year end as it has a slight impact on your tax code etc.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick responses. I am VAT registered as my first project has a good value and I estimate that i will pick up more work as I go so I went straight in for VAT.

I agree with Murdoch it is all very confusing and I will be taking the advice of my accountant. I did meet an accountant last week who seemed very un interested and seemed to confuse matter more than officially clear anything up which is why I am asking on here if anyone could shed any light.

Upvote 0
Or just ring HMRC - they are generally very helpful, but find another local accountant as being ltd, vat reg and having CIS to deal with sounds like a receipe for getting in a mess unless you know exactly what you are doing .,,,,

Upvote 0
If you earn more than around £30,000 A year under Cis work you can go and register as a contractor and then the tax is not deducted at source

As a company you have to pay corporation tax on company profit and as an employee you pay paye and ni on your wages but if your accountant is a good one then this will be almost zero and you can take dividends

The good accountant will be able to advise and offer the best method for you to take home the most money while not attracting the war hful eye of the HMRC

Upvote 0

Reply to LTD Company Directors Salary and CIS in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back