Discuss Make a very simple test for me in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

PC1966: I had another try with Rc = 1kR and Re = 4.7kR, 10kR and 22kR over a range of voltages from 3-15V. Not a twitter at 20MHz. I also tried two other crystals.

Next I will try keeping Re at 4.7kR and reducing Rc but at the moment it is too hot in my shed to do so.
OK, I will see if I have the parts to try it as well.

At one point we had loads of stuff for this sort of experiment but sadly it was thrown out when my last work ended. We saved some stuff "just in case" but space did not permit all of the items I wish we had kept.

This is a handy web site for current activity:
However we have seen the odd flash here that did not register on their detectors.

Im loughing how everyone is preoccupied: me with the fv reading, marconi with lightning and pc1966 with stuff that doesnt find or have anymore. Hahaha.

Regarding the circuit Symmetrischer Oszillator I have included below again. I don't think this is the working circuit - it is an outline schematic of a circuit missing some key detail. I reckon the circuit idea is a classical astable transistor circuit - see second circuit - which has resistance and capacitance to make it oscillate at a frequency close to that of the quartz crystal as in the second image. The purpose of the crystal connected between emitters is to 'force' operation at its frequency. This is what I am going to pursue.

1652886764266.png

1652887169009.png

I was just going to say, it looks like a circuit from a patent which shows enough to define the principle that is claimed, but not enough to construct a replica directly. I too would be inclined to provide AC feedback and bias in the usual way, and probably make the emitter coupling somewhat tunable.

It seems a very long time ago that I had the opportunity to make with circuits that might not function, to see whether something can be done some particular way. In my work I am so often against time pressure that the solution has to be guaranteed to work first time even it is technically ridiculous or extravagant. I have used a 14-bit 40-pin PIC running at 20MHz as a monostable to generate a 10 second pulse, because it was already built and reprogramming took 2 minutes vs. 5 minutes to make something specific.

If you asked me to test the frequency of a vanilla-flavour crystal now I would reach for the PIC prototyping board again and have an answer in 20 seconds.

We know that is a symbol of a BJT NPN but try with 2 N-ch Mosfets.
Also... Im thinking to use different types of npn's. 1 BC548 and another BD139. To induce a instability in the circuit...
Just putting some ideas on the table.

I gave myself 5 minutes to do this, just to prove we can all build a discrete transistor crystal oscillator that doesn't work...
First transistors I came to - ZTX753s - should have enough zing to work. The circuit has a name but I can't remember it, a common-base stage driving an emitter follower. I made the values up as I went along, they won't be far out but it still doesn't work. I've no interest in simulating it or debugging it, time's up!

Attachments

• 20220518_174710.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 21

Reply to Make a very simple test for me in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net