Discuss Material in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

HugoJH

Hello, long time since I came here, but I had a question that couldn't be answered by my french peers, there's some material that I am having trouble with translating names into english, here is a picture :
For information, we use it in france in order to : individual protection/thermomagnetic protection this one is a 500 mA, it's usually in a private local ( generally in the house ), thanks :)

SCH13120x800.jpg

Can you give a model number?

Residual current device? So in France, if it's really a RCD on the picture, it is usually placed there by the electricity provider, not the electrician, is it the same where you are? :)
Thanks for the answer !

Yes, the selective version. I can't see the service provider providing this sort of equipment, although it may be different on your side of the channel.

Yes, the selective version. I can't see the service provider providing this sort of equipment, although it may be different on your side of the channel.

Well, first protection is this one ( the one we're talking about ) then on the GTL there's the electric panel where there's another protection, this time for the material I think, and on this protection( I think it's called a circuit breaker ) there's a row of protection for each circuit ( light / plug and so on ) connected to it. I hope I make myself clear, I am lost when it comes to english vocabulary for electricity material, as I never had to discuss about electricity in the past.

So now I know the first one is the : RCD, life-savingdevice which is designed to prevent you from getting a fatal electricshock if you touch something live, such as a bare wire. Then you've got two others protections which I would like to determinate the name of. One of them is a circuit breaker obviously I would say it's the last one, but then there's the protection above the circuit breaker.

in your last post with pictures......

first device is time delay rcd , which often is fitted by the local electricity supplier ( le EDF ) suggested by the fact it has the facility to wire seal the incoming / outgoing terminal cover screws

second device is also a rcd , non time delayed double pole , fitted in the consumer unit , for the purpose of shock protection @ 30ma for the final circuits

last device is single pole mcb , for overload protection of each circuit.

you have a 500mA RCD up front. then in your last post, a 30mA RCD it's the 30mA which gives the additional protection from shock. the row of smaller devices are the circuit breakers which provide fault protection to individual circuits. on tghe one there, it's a C2, meanibg it's a C curve, 2A.

Last edited:
in your last post with pictures......

first device is time delay rcd , which often is fitted by the local electricity supplier ( le EDF ) suggested by the fact it has the facility to wire seal the incoming / outgoing terminal cover screws

second device is also a rcd , non time delayed double pole , fitted in the consumer unit , for the purpose of shock protection @ 30ma for the final circuits

last device is single pole mcb , for overload protection of each circuit.
Long time no see,:kiss: how's things?

Reply to Material in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net