Search the forum,

Discuss Mechanical protection/ Safe zones in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Its the term itself which is ambiguous - pvc sheath provides 'mechanical protection' so does SWA but on very different levels.

Mechanical protection does not mean necessarally protection to a high degree of impact or piercing but when it is worded in combination with regulations which clearly mean you are providing a high degree of protection then yes it can be assumed to relate to steel conduit, plate or armour.

Its like saying the pvc jacket of T&E is there to provide mechanical protection albiet a low level - technically it does but it would be better to say the pvc jacket is there to provide environmental protection of which one trait is a low level of mechanical protection, it also provides many other traits of protection from insulation to UV tolerance again in the example of standard T&E it would it would be a low UV tolerance.

Wording is key here and depends on the subject of discussion to what would be assumed it represents.

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between a lump of say 5mm steel plate not conected to an electrical installation but used for protection with a T+E behind it

or

A length of galvanised 20mm conduit not connected to an electrical installation but used for protection with a T+E through it

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between a lump of say 5mm steel plate not conected to an electrical installation but used for protection with a T+E behind it

or

A length of galvanised 20mm conduit not connected to an electrical installation but used for protection with a T+E through it

Presumably both are completely buried in plaster and not available to touch at any point etc?
In which case there is very little difference between the two, other than the thickness of the steel, and a masonry drill will go through the conduit if you push hard enough but the 5mm plate?
I guess it depends a little on how you read the regs but I think it says earthed steel conduit or protected from penetration by nails/screws and the like.

or

I don't think there's any difference if they are being used to comply with the regs re cables buried in a wall.
They will both require earthing.

I don't think there's any difference if they are being used to comply with the regs re cables buried in a wall.
They will both require earthing.

The 5mm plate will almost certainly comply with part (iv) of reg 522.6.204 and will not need to be earthed. As Dave said a conduit has to be earthed as per part (ii)

I gather Andy you were looking at part (i) for the plate to be earthed.

I was just trying to say I still think it would be very difficult to push a masonary drill through a piece of RMC

The 5mm plate will almost certainly comply with part (iv) of reg 522.6.204 and will not need to be earthed. As Dave said a conduit has to be earthed as per part (ii)

I gather Andy you were looking at part (i) for the plate to be earthed.

I was just trying to say I still think it would be very difficult to push a masonary drill through a piece of RMC

I see that now Malcolm and you're dead right.

I was posting in regard to the post purporting to say that mechanical protection does not need to be earthed.

I was really looking at part (ii) rather than (i) and pointing out that if the mechanical protection is in the form of metal conduit then this needs to be earthed.

It's one thing to do as you have done and cite an example and reg where possible which advances a debate and another to issue a sweeping statement like 'mechanical protection does not need to be earthed' without being more specific.

If the sole purpose of the metallic mechanical protection is to provide mechanical protection and it is not part of the wiring system then it does not need to be earthed.
Where the mechanical protection is part of the wiring system, and so providing another function, then it will need to be earthed.
The example with twin and earth in conduit is that normally conduit is intended for singles and so becomes the "sheathing" for the singles and is an exposed conductive part and requires earthing.
If you have twin and earth in conduit then there is the potential to consider the it may not need earthing, though this is a moot point and I would recommend earthing in this case anyway.

And as already said mechanical protection comes in different levels that are not differentiated by the phrase mechanical protection.
Mechanical protection only means protection against physical movement, pressure etc. effects.
However the force of these effects is not covered.
Mechanical protection sufficient to prevent the penetrations of nails screws etc, is different from mechanical protection against abrasion.

I will attempt to explain the requirements for concealing cables in walls:
1. Bury the cable at a depth greater than 50mm.
It is assumed that people will not use screws and nails that are longer than 50mm.
2. Use a cable that has an earthed metallic sheath.
The idea being that if a screw or nail penetrates the cable, the screw or nail will be contact with the earthed sheath, and if also contacts a live conductor, will cause the OCPD to operate.
3/4. Use earthed conduit or trunking.
The idea for these methods are the same as for No. 2.
5. Provide mechanical protection sufficient to prevent penetration by screws or nails.
There is no requirement to earth the mechanical protection as in the case with Nos. 2, 3 & 4, because the screw or nail will not penetrate the cable, will not contact a live conductor and will not be required to cause the OCPD to operate.
6. Run the cable in a prescribed zone and provide additional protection by means of a 30mA RCD.
The idea being that if someone is unaware of prescribed zones, then hopefully the RCD will operate.

Remember, not all conduit is 3mm thick, some is very flimsy indeed, and will not provide the required level of mechanical protection. Such flimsy conduit requires earthing.

Reply to Mechanical protection/ Safe zones in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock