Discuss Meter Boxes not fit for purpose? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

EddieB

-
Arms
Reaction score
I've noticed that a great deal of external meter boxes are missing doors or have their doors taped shut, it would seem that the majority of these are suffering from broken hinges, not on the door itself but on the chassis. The head and meter are fully exposed to the elements I find this is an incredible situation, to make it fit fit for purpose the whole box needs replacing. It is now the responsibility of the home owner to get these replaced which I assume will by the service supplier as it means removing the head and meter, this will not come cheap. I cannot understand as this seems to be a common fault on these boxes why they are still being manufactured and installed.
Any thoughts on this out there?

I see a lot of missing doors too - the plastic doesn't seem to cope well with extended exposure to British weather and just gets brittle...

There isn't even a "standard" size in my experience - just lots of similar but different types. Replacement doors are available, but as you say often its the chassis end that has gone. Though there are probably ways to fit new hinges with a bit of thought.

When I've arranged fitting of new external heads before I've had to supply the box - and I suspect that's the same with new builds, so they have technically never been the DNO's responsibility I suspect (even if it would make sense).

Anyone ever phoned a DNO and enquired as to the IP rating of a main fuse head or meter? 😉

Thinking about this issue, the 17th edition introduced a steel CU to combat possible fire risk, why does the meter and head enclosure not fall into that category,if it was a weatherproof steel box there wouldn't be an issue

There was a company which produced an over frame and door which fitted over the enclosure and were better quality than the old door not sure if they still about here is one I fitted, just four holes in the wall.
20180913_090907.jpg

There was a company which produced an over frame and door which fitted over the enclosure and were better quality than the old door not sure if they still about here is one I fitted, just four holes in the wall.View attachment 96295
yes there was, you had the door complete with hinges attached by four slotted slides which lined up with taped holes in the chassis to remove the door you simply loosened the screws and pulled it out of the chassis, and if required you fitted a new door, no fuss no bother

Cough cough….. I‘ve actually replaced one in-situ by reducing the components down to the head only and cutting a clean slot which can be invisibly repaired on the new one after its been slid back into place.

I think the majority of times, the door is broken from someone (meter reader) not closing the door properly… the wind catches it, and it gets broken by being slammed back against the wall.

Not so much the design, but misuse by the user.

Of course… every design can be improved on.
Cough cough….. I‘ve actually replaced one in-situ by reducing the components down to the head only and cutting a clean slot which can be invisibly repaired on the new one after its been slid back into place.
Morning Rocking, I'm interested in how you removed the tails from the meter without breaking the seal, I'm assuming it had one? 😀

I must admit, I've mused that if I was building a house, I dislike the look of those fugly boxes so much that I'd be looking for (making if neccessary) a full steel one (either galv or stainless), with a recess (with mesh) in the door so it can be rendered the same as the rest of the house leaving just the door edge and frame showing. As a side effect, it would also act as a faraday cage should someone insist I have a smart meter 😜
What I really can't fathom is on what planet does someone think they are some sort of "nice" architectural feature so they should be up front and "in your face" by the front door 🤬

I must admit, I've mused that if I was building a house, I dislike the look of those fugly boxes so much that I'd be looking for (making if neccessary) a full steel one (either galv or stainless), with a recess (with mesh) in the door so it can be rendered the same as the rest of the house leaving just the door edge and frame showing. As a side effect, it would also act as a faraday cage should someone insist I have a smart meter 😜
What I really can't fathom is on what planet does someone think they are some sort of "nice" architectural feature so they should be up front and "in your face" by the front door 🤬
The boxes are most often stuck down the side of houses here and out of the way. The door for the boxes however can be often found elsewhere, probably by the front door.

I never understood, while my house is fairly new, (15yo) the gas meter is outside, in a box…. So the little chap in his little car that reads the meter doesn’t have to disturb us…. But the electric meter is inside.
In a broom cupboard, off the kitchen.

Even the newer houses of the development have the meter and CU in the garage… but not on an outside wall where they could have had an outside meter box.
Still inside… and in an even more awkward place if the garage is packed full.

The boxes are most often stuck down the side of houses here and out of the way.
Many of the new houses I've seen being built round here have them "in your face" by the front door. Some on the side of the porch, but some I saw had the front door in an internal corner (think porch on side of house, door on front face so the side of the house is to one side of you as you face the door) with the meter boxes stacked (so one at eye level) one above the other right next to the door - and not even enough room to stick a potted plant or something to hide them. And they weren't cheap houses either - upmarket houses where you'd think the architect might have considered aesthetics :rolleyes:
I never understood, while my house is fairly new, (15yo) the gas meter is outside, in a box…. So the little chap in his little car that reads the meter doesn’t have to disturb us…. But the electric meter is inside.
I've not seen a new house round here without two fugly boxes outside lately.

Aesthetics is one thing, but so is ease of accessibility for meter readers.
I’d rather them get what they need from the front door, than going through gates, round the garden looking for the outside box.

A good idea was mentioned before… metal framing and a door insert that can be rendered the same as the wall.

A good idea was mentioned before… metal framing and a door insert that can be rendered the same as the wall.
That was me, and I now have visions of making one so good that the meter readers (what are those anyway, I can't remember the last time I've actually had a meter reader come round ?) can't see the box :grinning:

Without a lock, outside meters are also a source of merriment to (typically youths) looking for a bit of mischief. I can recall waaaay back in my misspent youth finding it fun to turn off the valve on a certain person's oil tank in the village. After a couple of times, the wheel got removed from it :rolleyes:
Thinking about it, for gas it's a definite safety risk - given how many appliances don't have flame supervision, if someone turns the gas off and back on again there's potential for creating a significant explosion risk. I once gave my letting agent a "right dressing down" as they were in the habit of doing this to check if they'd got the right meter to read - and they'd put the pilot out not only in the boiler in our flat, but also the neighbour upstairs.

Reply to Meter Boxes not fit for purpose? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net