Discuss Meter Tails - two houses converted into 8 flats in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DHW999999

I am just coming up to my first year as a qualified Electrician after changing careers from a Fraud Analyst and this site has answered many of the questions that I have had for which I am very thankfull.

Today I was asked to look at a 2 house / 8 flat conversion that was about 75% complete with 2nd fix required in 7 of the 8 converted flats. Pretty straight forward 2nd fix accross all flats apart from one major issue in that out of the 8 flats only three have had tails run into them from the DNO equipment outside. My question centres around how long can the tails be, because of the design of the flats the cable will need to be in access of 8-12 meters to reach said CU's from DNO equipment. Now what I can say of the tails that have allready been installed is that SWA 25mm has been used but no Isolator switchand 100A fuses used. I was under the impression that 3m was the maximum or at least that is what I recall from my tutor but there has been many a comment stating longer can be used with an Isolator switch and if outside the SWA to be installed.

I would appreciate any guidence you can give on my subject.

Thank you

David

Thankyou for the quick response...I did smile to myself as all the floors and plastering has been done now its all got to come up and be defaced to run these tails now.

So the the fact that the 3 sets of tails installed allready have not used an isolator despite their length is what a decision made by previous Electrical installer? I cant say I am looking forward to running the tails, 25mm SWA is a knightmare to handle as you will no doubt be awhere of.

Luke, are you having a laugh.

I've looked at a few of your posts, a lot of which have been posted in the last few minutes.

You haven't been on the forum a day and you're already leaving a trail of insults and bad advice.

SWA is terminated in a suitable gland, NOT with tape and choc blocks.

Reply to Meter Tails - two houses converted into 8 flats in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net