Discuss metrel mi3000 testing for ze in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Cheers fellas
i,ll check the sockets as customer has said about ten years ago the kitchen was wired in by a relative so hopefully the problem lies in there

hi i have the metrel mi3000 easi test and one of the lads i work with did a ze test using my meter set to loop z (rcd) he went between the live neutral of the main switch and earth and said that the meter froze. I have checked all the fuses and nothing has blown but i cant get to loop rcd anymore. any ideas? please help!

I sometimes have problems, doing Zs tests, if the contact with the probes is not very good.
If your meter has frozen, try removing the batteries, leaving a couple of minutes (have a cup of tea or something) and the replace the baterries and re-try.
If that doesn't work, then you will have to return the unit for repair.

Have you tried the universal method of repair......blowing on it???:lol:

I'd agree with spin above though, if pulling the batteries out doesn't cure it you may have to send it away.

I sometimes have problems, doing Zs tests, if the contact with the probes is not very good.
If your meter has frozen, try removing the batteries, leaving a couple of minutes (have a cup of tea or something) and the replace the baterries and re-try.
If that doesn't work, then you will have to return the unit for repair.

thanks iv tryed doing that and still no joy. i just wanted to make sure that before i send it back that its not something that would void the warrenty. also wheres the thanks buttons im new to this!

thanks iv tryed doing that and still no joy. i just wanted to make sure that before i send it back that its not something that would void the warrenty. also wheres the thanks buttons im new to this!

Along the bottom of each post is a brown "bar". At the left hand end is the "thanks" button.

Hi just a thought but is it set to test TN/TT in settings menu.To access settings menu press backlight key and turn function selector switch,to leave set up rotate selector switch again.

Hi kelrich, i have a similar prob with a friends installation, i put the post on yesterday "this is odd". I can get a Zs from a SO, but when i try get a Ze, meter wont test. I have a metrel similar to yours and it has a display giving PD between L & N and L & E prior to test. The readings i get are very odd. Thought it might be leads, but they're ok.
Theres some views on the post that marry up somewhat with lenny's above and others. Av a look.

esc

I have a Metrel MI3100 and a similar thing happened to me today, Ze test with earth conductor disconnected - PD between L-E 210v, PD between N-E 42v, total 252v - Metrel refused to test with error message of unrecognised supply. Reconnected earth conductor and re-tested works fine with sensible reading and PDs 230v and 0v as expected. Did you ever get a conclusive answer as to what was happening in your case?

esc

I have a Metrel MI3100 and a similar thing happened to me today, Ze test with earth conductor disconnected - PD between L-E 210v, PD between N-E 42v, total 252v - Metrel refused to test with error message of unrecognised supply. Reconnected earth conductor and re-tested works fine with sensible reading and PDs 230v and 0v as expected. Did you ever get a conclusive answer as to what was happening in your case?

Are you sayoing you tried the Ze with out connecting the earth lead? It sounds like you did - you need to disconnect the main earth (from the MET or CU) to prevent parrallel paths and at the same time remember to connect the earth lead to the "loose" main earth. obviously you'll have turned off the power to the building first!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had similarly odd results from my Metrel. The Eurotest is generally a very good instrument, but I have found that sometimes the results begin to become inconsistent.

You definitely need to use the 3 leads when loop testing ,whether or not you link the blue and green leads together to reference the neutral and earth is up to you. If the green lead fails then you will still be able to dead test but you will get inconsistent/ no result for loop testing.

My problem was found when I checked the resistance of the connections with a multimeter. Both times with 2 separate sets of leads I found that the green conductor at the point of the joint in the plug had frayed and broken off.

Are you sayoing you tried the Ze with out connecting the earth lead? It sounds like you did - you need to disconnect the main earth (from the MET or CU) to prevent parrallel paths and at the same time remember to connect the earth lead to the "loose" main earth. obviously you'll have turned off the power to the building first!

I definitely connected all three test leads and in the correct configuration including the green lead to the disconnected earth conductor, so I was happy that I was doing the test correctly for Ze, Tried it several times aswell always the same. Reconnect earth conductor to DB earth bar and test with green croc on earth bar and good reading, but this is obviously not Ze (parallel paths etc..).

Based on similar threads, it just seems to be a common occurance with this family of Metrel testers, I will ring Metrel and see if they have an answer, if I get one I will post it.

cheers

I definitely connected all three test leads and in the correct configuration including the green lead to the disconnected earth conductor, so I was happy that I was doing the test correctly for Ze, Tried it several times aswell always the same. Reconnect earth conductor to DB earth bar and test with green croc on earth bar and good reading, but this is obviously not Ze (parallel paths etc..).

Based on similar threads, it just seems to be a common occurance with this family of Metrel testers, I will ring Metrel and see if they have an answer, if I get one I will post it.

cheers

The only time my metrel has done this I discovered the TNS clamp wasn't actually connected to the earth at all!

Re-awakening an old thread!

IMG_4537.JPG

Same problem here. This is what my tester gave me when trying to do a Ze on a TT system. Zs readings were fine, and Ze without the earth connected gave a >2000ohm reading. Any suggestions?

I know this is a bit old - but might be of use to someone

I have the same problem right now! Called Mertal up and they said Fuse 1 (F1) has blown - replace it and all will be fine.

Reply to metrel mi3000 testing for ze in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net