Discuss mft 1720 test leads dont fit! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
i just bought a megger mft1720 and i noticed it has different leads, when you take the gs38 probes off the end your left with the 'plug in type' but it doesnt fit into my socket and see adaptor. It goes in but doesnt make a connection?! It looks like it wont go in far enough because it has a shroud on it unlike all other leads. The switched lead that comes with it is just like the old ones with the bigger exposed end on that fits in the adaptor no problems. Its really annoying because i cant do R1+R2 on sockets without taking the fronts off. It does come with another plug in lead but its not really convenient plugging it in and taking out all the time plus i would have to keep zeroing it out. Does anyone else have a similar problem? or do i have duff leads? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Michael

This is common problem with some Megger and Fluke leads, the 4mm plugs are too short for the 4mm sockets of both Socket & See and Kewtech testing accessories which require long (ideally shrouded) plugs. The solution that seems to be favored by most, is to buy a set Kewtech ACC065 test leads, or similar. Personally I prefer to use a set of the old style Robin SL50 leads.

Kewtech Corporation | ACC065 | G7 Test Leads

Last edited by a moderator:
I have yet to find a set of leads with crocs that work well.

But yes, it is a pain having to swap leads all the time but everything about testing is a pain :D

thanks for the replys i couldnt work out what the little ridge/shroud on the leads actually did so i 'very carefully' cut it off with a stanley knife and now they fit! its crazy its like megger put them on to stop them working with a socket adaptor. They dont touch the croc clips or gs38 ends when ya put them on so its pointless. thanks again for the replies
michael

I don't understand mate. My leads for a 1730 fit into my socket n see R1/R2 plug adapter. You just push them on over the ridge/shroud?

are they the new ones or are the same design as the old ones? the ones i have had a little ridge at the end of the shroud that just wouldnt fit into the socket and see adaptor. It only went half way in. The ridge only stuck out about a millimeter but it was just enough to stop it going in. I cut it off and it went in fine. its a bit odd i know.

I'l have to photograph them for you tomorrow as the Megger is in the van. But the leads are the new design, slightly different to the 1552 et al

The leads posted by trypod are totally different to those that came with my 1730. Mine was in the first batch, so I don't know if that makes a difference - maybe the new leads weren't ready for shipping?

Mpoy222 - are these the leads you have?

Got 1720 july last year . Leads same as old 15 series. No prob with kewtech r1/2 adpt .Crocs are rubbish phoned megger sent me new set of leads , should have sent old back but keep forgetin

Mpoy222 - are these the leads you have?[/QUOTE]

hi yes they are the ones you can see the little bit that sticks out at an angle and stopped it going in my socket and see. I dunno maybe it was the socket adaptor that was different but i tried some other leads and they fit fine so its a mystery
michael

Hmmm, i dont have those leads.

I have got the original ones with the clear shrouds. :(

Going OT slightly, but does anyone have issues with continuity readings?

During the tests the readings jump up and down and dont really stabilise?

Reply to mft 1720 test leads dont fit! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net