Discuss MFT batteries in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

kingeri

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just a quickie. I have been using rechargeable ni-mh AA batteries in my tester for a while, these are starting to fail and am going to have to buy some new ones. Any advice on which ones are the best for use in a MFT? I understand that the ni-mh ones don't suffer from the memory effect, so should I just get some more of these?

some teater manufacturers don't like you using rechargeables, due to the high short-circuit current that can damage the tester. megger 1500 series for example. also, the voltage is lower (1.2V /cell as opposed to 1.5V)

+1 on sanyo eneloop, they been used by professional photographers for their flash machines...
if you want to get the best of ni-mh use a proper charger too....
Battery Logic UK - Technoline BL-700 intelligent LCD battery charger

Yes, another endorsement for this charger from me.

I've had one for several years. Once you get the hang of it, you can weed out failing batteries in a set and exercise ones that are tired, to bring up their capacity. You can also group your batteries, if you have a load of similar ones, into sets by actual capacity, which makes the best possible use of them.

I have the 1730, and it has an option for 1.2v (rechargeable) or 1.5v batteries. If you have the option, then NiMh will be fine. I've just bought a set of 8 Vapextech UK Ltd High Power Consumer Batteries & Chargers instant type. They hold their charge for ages without being used, unlike most rechargeables. Just make sure that whatever you choose, they don't sit in a cold van or garage overnight as low temperature kills em.

Reply to MFT batteries in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net