Discuss Midlife - Would like to add a skill in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

jimjim

DIY
Reaction score
Hello all, i'm currently employed full time and not looking to change careers (just yet). Id like to train to be able to do domestic installations, mainly to do jobs around the home but ideally to rewire my home and then of course help family members etc when possible.
I'd need to train around my 9-5 but i'm struggling to find anything online that doesn't then appear to be a scam.
Does anyone have any advice on how or where i can train part time?
My local college doesn't offer anything in the "nightschool" sort of time and only offers full time training for this.
I'm based in the North West.
Thanks in advance

Have you considered a fast car or faster motorcycle? It worked for my mid-life crisis :)

What you're looking to do here isn't really 'adding a skill', you're looking to become a fully qualified electrician which would be adding lots of skills...otherwise known as adding a full trade. That's probably why your local college is only offering a full time course.

Even if you find a way to complete the months or years of training you'd still need to get insurance and join an electrical scheme or pay the council control to come inspect for every job you do... I'm based in South Africa so I'm not an expert on the UK requirement but I'm sure another member will give you a better outline of what you'd need to commit to on an annual basis just to be able to do your own and family members electrical work.

Hello all, i'm currently employed full time and not looking to change careers (just yet). Id like to train to be able to do domestic installations, mainly to do jobs around the home but ideally to rewire my home and then of course help family members etc when possible.
I'd need to train around my 9-5 but i'm struggling to find anything online that doesn't then appear to be a scam.
Does anyone have any advice on how or where i can train part time?
My local college doesn't offer anything in the "nightschool" sort of time and only offers full time training for this.
I'm based in the North West.
Thanks in advance
Where in the north west? My college (Riverside College in Halton (Widnes)) do night courses for Electrical Installation Riverside College - Widnes & Runcorn - Further Education - http://www.riversidecollege.ac.uk or Google Riverside College

Reply to Midlife - Would like to add a skill in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net