Discuss Mobile Home Electrical Problem or Not? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

starblazer09

The consumer unit in my Mobile Home has a main breaker which is rated 40A and RCD trip function. There are then 2 x Lighting circuits on a 6A mcb and 1 x Ring Main/Power on a 32A mcb.

However the caravan is supplied via a 32A socket plugged into the mains box which has a 16A trip protected by a 25A Main Breaker.

Everytime I put the kettle on with my oil filled radiator the outside trip fails. I have asked the park owner whether the home consumer unit is rated correctly and he refuses to comment.

Does this all sound correct to you professionals ?

Dave

From my understanding of these set ups, your RCD protection should be at the camps pitch plug in unit. At the moment there is a dual RCD protection. Unless the outside plug-in unit RCD is an S type (time delayed) there will never be any discrimination.

Having said that, if your kettle is rated at 2.5KW and your oil filled heater is 1.5KW then you are over the 16A rating of the outside supply MCB!! Depends what ratings your appliances are, i'm just assuming the ratings of them here... Go check and come back to let us know!!!

Agree with engineer54, think your just using more than 16 amp and tripping the mcb. Quick fix:- turn off the radiator before switching the kettle on.

Hi thanks for prompt reply...the Kettle is indeed 2.5kw however the radiator is 2kw. Please bear in mind I also have a fridge freezer permenantly on and the TV too (not permenantly). My issue really is why is the external mcb is only 16A if the van consumer box is 40A why is the supply to the van not at least 32A? The owner says it has to be 16A, we pay seperate electric bills too so he cant be concerned re usage.

Then your well over the top haha!! Sorry, i'm not that clued up on supply limitations, but i would have thought it would be more than just 16 A for a residential mobile home...

EDIT.... I take it that it is a residential mobile home?? Is it yours and your renting the pitch , or are you renting the mobile home on the pitch??

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you believe it, it can get dammed nippy here for 3 months or so of the year!! ...lol!!! But it is now climbing and around 26C during the day, but nights still drop to around 10 to 12C ...Brrrrrrrr!! lol!!

EDIT.... I take it that it is a residential mobile home?? Is it yours and your renting the pitch , or are you renting the mobile home on the pitch??

If it's the later, i would say that is a really low incoming supply limitation, and Not fit for purpose!! But will leave to others here with maybe more background than i on these matters...

The commando plug flex will be 2.5mm csa giving a max of 16 Amp as per table 721. Using a 4mm flex will give you 25 Amp max but you will have to get an electrician to fit the flex, test the supply cable to the localized cu and see if you can have a 25 Amp mcb due to Ze readings. I'm sure the site owner won't want to pay for it! As I said before, cheaper to just turn off the radiator for 5 mins before putting the kettle on.

Reply to Mobile Home Electrical Problem or Not? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net