Discuss Moral dilemma...............? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I went out today to carry out an EICR on a domestic property.

The lead up to the job had been confusing.

The elderly (roughly @telectrix 's age) lady had had work done in the past, she didn't get a certificate. She is now selling and the buyers solicitor is insisting on an EICR (I believe for the whole property, although I'm not sure, perhaps just the new work).

She is a confusing lady and made my head spin!

On arrival I could see the house was cluttered. Not usual clutter, the type of clutter you see on the TV when someone clearly has an issue and hoards. The lady kept talking, although it just confused me as her mind was like her house, cluttered.

I spent 45 mins, looking around (plus chatting!), wondering if I could do it but decided no. There would be too many limitations to make it a worthwhile report. I then spent another 20 mins sat with her chatting as she was distressed (about everything!)

Questions....

1. Does a house HAVE to have an EICR when it is sold? Could the lady just negotiate on price, lets say knock off £5000 in case it needs a rewire?

2. When does a report become worthless due to the extent of limitations? I guess this is very much a judgement call. Today I decided the report would have been too limited. Perhaps the solicitor would then not have accepted it and the lady has spent £200 for nothing.

3. Payment! She even mentioned she would need to chat to me about payment as she may not have the money. Not really a question here, just think I better discuss this further with her if I go back 🥺

I want to help this lady, but bit unsure how to proceed.

No a property doesn't need an EICR, unless it's a condition of the buyer's Mortgage / Loan.
The Solicitor will want a full EICR as the Seller has presumably declared that there have been additions, but can't provide certificate(s) and there may be uncertanty as to exactly what has been added.

If for whatever reasons and EICR can't be done then it's for the buyer to decide to either walk away, negotiate a price drop or risk it.
It all depends on the price, the market and the sellers wish to get that property.

The other option for the buyer is to get the seller to pay for an indemnity policy to cover the costs of making the additions be compliant, that policy won't cover a full rewire / new C.U unless that was needed as part of the additions.

The only way I can think that you may be able to help is just to provide a statement for the seller to pass on saying due to access difficulties within the property it was not possible to do a ful EICR and just charge a few pounds.
Presumably the buyer has been in the house so would understand.

Re payment if a full EICR was done if she has no cash it may be possible to arrange payment at time of completion by her Solicitor direct to you.

Last edited:
I’m wondering if a quick board change style eicr would help the purchaser, IR readings, are the rings ok, and a few live Zs readings where possible.
Obviously with a covering letter.
But it could be enough to work out whether they are looking at a rewire or just a new CU and a tidy up.
It’s a tricky one, but in the context that the seller could have got an £80 drive by report I think I’d feel ok doing a limited inspection and being clear about the extensive limitations.

Last edited:
I’m wondering if a quick board change style eicr would help the purchaser, IR readings, are the rings ok, and a few live Zs reasons where possible.
Obviously with a covering letter.
But it could be enough to work out whether they are looking at a rewire or just a new CU and a tidy up.
It’s a tricky one, but in the context that the seller could have got an £80 drive by report I think I’d feel ok doing a limited inspection and being clear about the extensive limitations.
I think that sounds spot on Tim, thanks. 😀

(roughly @telectrix 's age)

just coz.i'm a coffin dodger. i only hoard tools. probably worse than pete999. just passed on 1553 to son and heir, so went and bought a 1721. wil polish it once a month . is there a medical term for my condition, to go with the COPD/arthritis,brain splatts/ cramps/ aches, etc.

I think it's a simple case of "bloke with a shed syndrome".
I have it too. Three simultaneous afflictions I think!

normal with the general publicis 2 brain cells short of a quorom.

Just had a text from the lady.
She took my advice and had a chat with the buyers. They have come to some kind of agreement and they will accept the electrics as they are.
Very pleased as the house was sooo bad, plus the lady had said she would need to pay me in instalments over 2 months, just for £200! I would have done it, but glad I don't have to.

Reply to Moral dilemma...............? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net