Discuss Query regarding replacing a fuse box with a new consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

stejjh

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

Is there an actual age limit on house wiring that would prevent a traditional fuse box being replaced with a consumer unit please?

Background - my elderly mother recently had an issue with the fuse wire on the lighting circuit in her 60's built house blowing, I visited and replaced the fuse wire but a few days later it went again so she had a professional electrician out who fixed the root cause - basically the landing light bulb holder was faulty and shorting out. He replaced the lighting unit and re-tested - everything is fine once again no other faults found.

Whilst this is the first time in years (probably decades) that a fuse wire has gone, my Mum asked about replacing the fuse box with a CU + RCBOs etc. for greater protection and the convenience of not having to fiddle around with fuse wire. The electrician said it could not be done in isolation and the house would need a re-wire due to its age. Whilst this sounds prudent it obviously leads to a lot of expense. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

J

There wouldn't be an age limit as such but some historic cables such as VRI if they are still in use will be beyond their reasonable service life. Pre 70s lighting circuits often did not incorporate an earth in the cables but may still be serviceable albeit they warrant replacement for modern requirements.
The best way to find out is to have an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) carried out but that can be a minefield finding competent people who can give a valued assessment.

OP says 60's built... so that wouldn't be old enough for VIR.... (i might be wrong there)
I expect the old original grey twin and earth.... which is ok to work on, although a little tough compared to todays standard.

Agree that an eicr should be done before, or as part of a consumer unit change.
This might bring up issues that not serious enough to blow a fuse, but could trip an RCD.

If you could give us a rough area of the UK the house is in.... someone on the forum could give it the once over.

As folks have said above, it is not an "age" issue as such, more about condition and suitability for continued use.

You can get plug-in breakers to replace the Wylex rewirable fuses, they do not provide the additional protection that modern RCBO offer but that at least allow a quick reset without some elderly person struggling with fuse wire in the dark, etc.

However, the best route is to find a decent electrician and get the installation checked out. Almost certainly they will recommend a new CU (consumer unit = fuse box) but that advantage of a proper inspection is to find out what other issues you might be faced with. In the best case (60s PVC wiring in good condition) it is only a CU change, but you might find other work is needed.

A full rewiring is more expensive and disruptive (furniture moved, redecoration if walls damaged for access, etc) and may not be needed, however, if you were moving in today you might want that simply to get enough sockets, etc, in the places needed today, as opposed to the needs of 60 years ago!

If you get an EICR then feel free to post it here, with any personal details redacted (like hose address, or electrician doing it) for feedback.

Incidentally if you want to read more details (if somewhat technical) then the Best Practice Guides are useful, in particular BPG#1 and BPG#4 available free from here:

Last edited:
OP says 60's built... so that wouldn't be old enough for VIR.... (i might be wrong there)
I expect the old original grey twin and earth.... which is ok to work on, although a little tough compared to todays standard.

Agree that an eicr should be done before, or as part of a consumer unit change.
This might bring up issues that not serious enough to blow a fuse, but could trip an RCD.

If you could give us a rough area of the UK the house is in.... someone on the forum could give it the once over.
60s is old enough. House we live in was built 1964 and had lighting wired in pvc/pvc singles and everything else in VIR. Must have been using up their stock.

Our house in a row was built in 1971 and we have metric cables with cpcs for the lighting, top of the row imperial and no cpcs.

Reply to Query regarding replacing a fuse box with a new consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net