Discuss More ads, suddenly? in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've noticed across multiple devices in the last few days what seems to be an increase in advertising intensity. So much so on the mobile that I had to install a different ad blocker otherwise the forum was basically unusable, the ads completely drowning out the content. If it is a real change and not a result of my browsers being updated etc, then my impression is that it is counterproductive.

My No-script broke with a Firefox upgrade .. Hence Pri-Badg !
..oh the good ol days..

Occasionally browser updates will affect extensions, but this is generally resolved very quickly. I had huge problems with Ad-Block plus after the last big Win10 update - so much so that I haven't been brave enough to reactivate it since.

I note that Ghostery is also successfully blocking Google tag manager and Google adsense. I see sponsor ads on the side bar and a couple of small sponsor banner ads, but none of the crazy ads that google like to insert at every opportunity.

Last edited:
Besides the right hand side window, I'm getting at least one advert between each post, it seems. It's been happening for a while now, I mentioned it a good few days ago in another thread.

Can you take a screen shot for me? - I've changed the settings so Esteemed don't see Google ads. Subscribers don't see any sponsors ads either.

So you're esteemed. So you should only see sponsors ads, which can be in post content. Usually near the top and bottom of a page if you're on a mobile. But the wider ones across the top and bottom of a thread (not in content) if you're on a desktop.

Also, what's happened to the latest post for each section...that's disappeared, meaning having to navigate and open each one to see if any new posts. Getting a bit sick of it, I must admit.

65+% of our visits are now mobiles. So they get the design these days primarily set for them. So I've got rid of what is clutter on the homepage in some sense.

What I can look into is a different style for mobile and desktop. That actually might get us around a few of these issues we're having with ads also. Thinking about it.

As a side note though, hit the what's new tab - that has all the new posts no matter what forum.

Then also on the homepage right at the top is this link....

1599684479813.png

"New posts whether read or not" - click that, it's a bigger list of threads in order of their last post, whether you've read it or not - so you know which ones you have replied to but still see them.

They’re definitely not sponsors ads.
The dropdown one especially is very annoying and also the full page ad that sometimes ‘stops’ you loading a page properly

Can you screen print this for me?
You just paste it in then if you're on desktop. Or on a mobile, screen print, then click add image and find it on your device and add it.
Meat free burgers, even.
edit....that's gone now.

Seems weird this. Screen print it me mate. :)

See attached for annoying drop down ad and full page ad. This was a couple of minutes ago.

Attachments

• D371F0EE-69A5-475C-9B80-11D6CF2A0DBC.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 9F568B41-6AB1-4DBB-A54D-A121A272581A.png
    301.1 KB · Views: 20
Just been trying to find the page and I have. As above click on why this ad then go through the options, I am not sure the route to this page but you should find this and you have the option to switch them off.
20200912_142633.jpg

All that does is turn off a particular ad from a particular company. The adverts will still be there just not ‘personalised’?

It seems to be a problem with this forum rather than my google settings. I’m not getting this amount of ads on other forums I’m on

The ads are back for me on the mobile phone. Huge ads stuck between most posts. I'm not getting them on the laptop or ipad. I've stopped using the phone for the forum which solves the problem!

The ads are back for me on the mobile phone. Huge ads stuck between most posts. I'm not getting them on the laptop or ipad. I've stopped using the phone for the forum which solves the problem!
i get the same on the phone. more ads than content. fingers sore from scrolling down to find a post, then the post disappears to be replaced by more ads.

Reply to More ads, suddenly? in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net