Search the forum,

Discuss Most accurate Insulation Resistance tester out there? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well all my test instruments, when I was bust working were Fluke, bu IMHO I think they are all pretty much a mchness, others may not agree but that's what I have found, for what it's worth.

I think perhaps the problem is that a typical MFT measures continuity up to about 2000 Ohm, and measures IR with a readout from 0.01 MOhm to maybe 199 MOhm or 1999 MOhm. My KT64 does this.

So there is a gap, from 2kOhm to 10kOhm, where you can't measure the resistance with a MFT, other than to say it is between these values. I really wish the manufacturers had thought about this, it can be useful to measure in this range when fault-finding sometimes.

MFTs are not designed as a fault finding tool but as an all in one soloution for carrying out the standard installation tests in the regs.

I know, and I also have in my tool bag both a multi-meter and a clamp meter. I just think it is a pity the MFTs were designed to do no more than the standard tests. Another example, my KT64 has a volts range, but below 25V, it just displays "<25V", I don't believe it would have been too difficult to make it display lower values.

At the moment i use my fluke 1652 as a fault finder as well, but would just like a better value than 0.01M ohms so when I'm tracing I have an idea if I'm going the right way

thanks

At the moment i use my fluke 1652 as a fault finder as well, but would just like a better value than 0.01M ohms so when I'm tracing I have an idea if I'm going the right way

thanks

Then you'll need a multimeter, even a good budget job will normally do.... Oh, and for those weird phantom voltages that can at times throw you off course, an even cheaper analogue multimeter...

Yeah if money permits a good Avo and Analogue as above

I find the Fluke 117 to be a decent all round electricians multimeter. Its also got a "LoZ" setting to help eliminate ghost readings. The volt alert isn't up to much (similar to volt stick) but can have its uses.

Get yourself a combined IR/Continuity tester. Does what it says on the tin.

Agreed.
As far as I'm concerned, that is one basic peice of kit for a qualified electrician. I find it baffling how anyone could be without it. MFT's came in as a handy, all-in-one method for testing and inspection, an ideal peice of kit for a 'domestic installer'....never had one and never will.
In general it's an IR/continuity tester, loop/rcd tester and multimeter for me. ... more obviously come into play, depending on the situation, earth leakage tester, tongue ammeter, etc, etc.

Reply to Most accurate Insulation Resistance tester out there? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock