Discuss Moulded casing 3 phase fuseboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

ljt-electrical

When would you require a moulded casing fuseboard?
Theres one submain B50 single phase board.
One c16 and one c6 and 7 c32 triple pole mcb's it's a 8 way 3-phase board and looking at putting a 16 way in.

Sub mains tend to be standard boards and your power distribution system could be of the molded case variety although other set-up are available :)

Depends tbh, there are a few advantages to using them and they can have adjustable setting which you may require as well as allowing for larger cables to be terminated also you can connect them direct to trip circuits with a few add ons so you can utililise a trip if an E-stop is hit or even a mA leakage sensor etc etc, they are also housed in very roomy cabinets if you have a power panel and can allow for supply upgrade etc without the need to start again and allow for many large swa's trunking systems etc that may be cramped in a smaller standard board.

They can replace the need for a busbar and fused isolator arrangement thus becoming cost effective too so really its down to the layout of your distribution as to the need to use them.

Ok cheers, basically it's the main db, the following is the circuits
X1 c16 sockets
x1 c6 lights
x1 b50 single phase db
x7c32 each to 415v sockets for welding sets

100a supply fuse per phase

same time I change the fuse board I will be adding another x2 c32 415v circuits for welding sets

so from what I've been told on here and other advise I only need moulding casing when the consumer unit supply's alot of sub mains or high load.

You need MCCB's (note the conventional term) when you need a feature that you can't get from an ordinary MCB to BS EN60898 etc. Or, if you anticipate that such a feature will be needed in future, there might be reason to choose an MCCB panel now. As mentioned above, this could be any or all of: high or adjustable In, high Ics, auxiliary actuators / contacts, cable marshalling facilities etc.

like lucien says, we had a mccb panel that had a couple em stop circuits connected to it to shut power off.

you can do a lot of clever things that you can do with standard breakers even remotely operate them over the network, for example you could remotely reset a tripped breaker or tell what state it is in.

this can be setup to send an alert to the oncall engineer without any human intervention

One reason I would use mccb boards is if you have submains that require supplies greater than 100 amp tp. You can't get mcbs bigger than 80 amp I think.

Reply to Moulded casing 3 phase fuseboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net