Discuss Mounting PV panels landscape. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys, does anyone know the correct way to mount solar panels in a landscape orientation using the long sides as fixing points?

I've seen a couple of installs on horizontal rails with panels fixed on their short sides but as far as I know panel manufacturers don't recommend this.

Has anyone fitted vertical rails across horizontal ones or is this too expensive?

I would appreciate anyones comments.
Rich:D

Hi Nes2993.

Welcome aboard. What make are the panels in question? might help to diagnose the issue.

We have fitted Landscape on a few occasions and have done both methods you mentioned. A vertical rail mounted to a horizontal one does work but one thing to look out for is that the array isn't more than 200mm off the roof. Building regs etc. We fitted the Vert rail lower to the hanger than normal as the Horizontal rail then came level with the top of the hanger.

When we just fitted vertical rails we found it difficult to keep within the manufactures requirements on rail distance as you are restricted to where the rafter is.

Certainly Moser Baer is long side fixed only (According to their documentation) We have not used their panels as yet but got one in the pipe line for January but they are portrait mounted.

I would mount the rails vertically to the closest rafter to the limits of the panel (Anti slide devices to the bottom panel) and work across the roof.

just read this thread, and all fine except -

would 2 brackets be enough on a 2.4 m vertical rail? and

what distance should the brackets be fixed at ie how far from mounting bracket to 'floating' end of bracket?

sorry for the seemingly simple questions guys!

How much should you allow between modules, if any, for expansion etc? they'll be fixed landscape formation, with fixings on the long sides, so could be minimal gap if that would be ok?

thanks

Reply to Mounting PV panels landscape. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net