Discuss Mounting solution for corrugated cement roof in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SolarCity

-
Arms
Reaction score
We've just been to look at a large warehouse job (possibly 40-50kW)that we're very keen on winning. Unfortunately, the roof is made up of corrugated cement sheets and we haven't had to tackle this kind of thing before. We were thinking along the lines of using hangar bolts but weren't sure if these were designed to screw into timber rather than steel.

Does anyone have any experience of these kind of installs? Any advice would be gratefully received.

are you sure of the roof material. it's not asbestos is it? never heard of corrugated cement.

The roof was installed in the late '80s as far as the owner is aware so I was hoping this would mean that there is no asbestos in it.

I wouldn't let the corrugated asbestos sheets prevent me from installing PV panels on it - with precaution, I'm pretty sure that its legal.

Hi BiggsSolar,

Nothing is saying you can't install on Asbestos roof......However......You have a duty of care over all the other occupants or personal on site under the HSE. You may find this a little more to the point of restricting an installation. Your risk assessment for one would be to get the material tested and certified by a registered company in case it Does contain asbestos. You can not take just anyone's word for it. Even though you will not be drilling it you are still as risk of breaking sheets etc. This would release the dust fibres into the working environment below. HSE would go mental if you haven't identified the risk. A system of that size and environment might attract the attention of a passing HSE man who has the power to place a prohibition notice and stop work instantly. On that size system Ican only imagine your financial outlay.

Not knocking you but may be need to check it out?

The owner of the commercial building has to by law have an ACM certificate as do all commercial premmises since may 2004, these reports will tell anyone doing intrusive works o mater how big or small where and what contains asbestos.
you will be suprised what contains asbestos.
the answer is straight forward--don't touch it untill you find out if asbestos is presant, or you won't know what has hit you if the HSE get involved. You both have a Duty of Care.

I think we will get it checked. As far as I am aware, if it is asbestos, it can be managed with PPE. Either way, we'll make sure that everything is in place before we sign contracts.

Biggsolar
You can not cover the danger with PPE, i do H&S training which includes asbestos, take it from me, even to get is assesd and a ACM type two certificate can cost a lot of dosh. Go on the HSE web site and check it out.

dont touch it even with a barge pole, if you touch asbestos without a licence, they will come down on you like a ton of bricks and shut down/ heavily fine you....and if you start disturbing Asbestos anywhere near other Humans, they will put the lot of you in Jail!!! there will be a prohibition notice on this buildings roof just nobody will know that it was automatically designated as a health risk, it is not cement, it is Asbestos fortified Cement.
There are a lot of buildings in the town near me that are fully constructed from this stuff (old vehicle service Garages) and a lot of Farm sheds, there are construction companies desperate to get the land to build blocks of flats, but they cant afford to pay the money it would take to have them demolished and disposed of, you cant just drive a digger through them, its all plastic tents and big fans, specially suited and booted workers with Asbestos Handling certificates......a big money business.......and as usual the recruitment agencies are trying to get a slice of the action, but with next to no success :)
The general opinion with the Health and Safety is just leave it alone, dont touch the old buildings, dont use them even for storage, dont go inside them, keep out keep away and at some point when theres money available they will pull them down....they are just left standing...
Theres one vehicle Garage still going here, they tried to sell it for housing land, and a special order was put on it, they couldnt sell it and were told that they had to relocate, I dont know how they are still operating from the building as the get out or cease trading order was put on them 3 years ago now...

Asbestos Roofing is also too weak to support any weight and somebody could end up going through it and straight down, I imagine that would be 50ft onto concrete, just something to think about...

By HSE A9, I thought we were ok to work on it. We can have the area shut down while we fit the panels (the unit isn't occupied at the moment yet) and we'd use crawling boards anyway.

If we win the job, we'll take a sample from the roof to get checked out - before we sign contracts. Frankly, if it is asbestos, and it takes us a week longer to install because of this, we'll still go for it. And we'll be sure to keep on the right side of the HSE.

By HSE A9, I thought we were ok to work on it. We can have the area shut down while we fit the panels (the unit isn't occupied at the moment yet) and we'd use crawling boards anyway.

If we win the job, we'll take a sample from the roof to get checked out - before we sign contracts. Frankly, if it is asbestos, and it takes us a week longer to install because of this, we'll still go for it. And we'll be sure to keep on the right side of the HSE.

If you have already given them a price you will be making a big, big loss on it with all the extra safe guards you will have to put in place if asbestos is found.

But some how I don't think you are listening to what peiople are trying to tell you.

But some how I don't think you are listening to what peiople are trying to tell you.

Exactly how have you come to that conclusion?????

I will write it into the quote that the price is based on a successful asbestos test and I think that should keep me protected.

Does anyone know how much an asbestos test generally costs? If it is expensive then I'd be reluctant to do it before a successful quotation.

BiggsSolar
Why bother joining these forums and asking questions, to which you don't listen to the answers from the experienced members in the know!!!!
Do what you want to do, probably the worst decision in your life.
Crack on

BiggsSolar
Why bother joining these forums and asking questions, to which you don't listen to the answers from the experienced members in the know!!!!
Do what you want to do, probably the worst decision in your life.
Crack on

the answer is straight forward--don't touch it untill you find out if asbestos is presant, or you won't know what has hit you if the HSE get involved. You both have a Duty of Care.

To which I replied:

"I will write it into the quote that the price is based on a successful asbestos test and I think that should keep me protected.

Does anyone know how much an asbestos test generally costs? If it is expensive then I'd be reluctant to do it before a successful quotation. "

I've re-read this thead and I am staggered at the last two responses.

Re Asbestos tests. A firm i worked for used to send samples away and this cost between ÂŁ25 and ÂŁ55 this may have been a special price for volume
I've been on several asbestos courses and i think that most electricians will have had exposure to the fibres without realising it,as it can be present in a lot of items eg artex ,bituminous adhesives, old 3036 fuseholders /consumer units,switchgear ,(roofing) asbestos slate ,flues the list goes on and we've all worked on building sites where some demolition has been taking place .So you can't do anything about the past ,but as long as you're sensible and get proper advice on how to work when you do come across it and following guidelines ,then there's no reason why you can't.
As for these cement fibre roofs Asbestos was apparently used pre 1974 but taking into account for stockpiling I'd assume its in all of this type of roofing until post 2004 when it was banned
We're currently getting a few enquiries on these kind of roofs so been doing my research my main concern is the scaffolding/safety nets etc required
and method of work i can see these jobs being too expensive and awkward to do

As for fixing to wood purlins hanger bolts are used (same as in slate roof thread) as this would mean drilling through
the asbestos, so you should spray water as you drill, another method is to use shaving foam as this prevents particles becoming airborne .The way I'd do it is to spray water / pva mix as you'll be to and fro over several days kicking up the dust from the day before so this should be minimised by the glue
the above ideas are recommended by HSE but check for yourselves first!

Last edited:
Soz matey, i didn't see your post at the top, i just follwed my link from email which takes you to the relivant reply.
Just you go steady and cover all your basese.

As for these cement fibre roofs Asbestos was apparently used pre 1974 but taking into account for stockpiling I'd assume its in all of this type of roofing until post 2004 when it was banned
We're currently getting a few enquiries on these kind of roofs so been doing my research my main concern is the scaffolding/safety nets etc required
and method of work i can see these jobs being too expensive and awkward to do

I spoke to a friend yesterday evening who reckons that working off crawling boards with foam padding are the way to go. Working on them is definitely a concern, but to be honest with you, the size of the job is so large and the prospect of further work is so great that I am desperate not to let it slip through.

If it turns out that working on these roofs is simply no-go, then so be it. If it turns out that the jobs can be done, if correctly managed, then I've never shied away from that - especially not on a job this scale.

Just a thought, could you get some wood profiled to the shape of the corrugations in the roof, then contact a professional adhesive supplier, glue the wood onto the roof, get a struc engineer to calculate the relevant loads that this could hold, then put your fixing screws down into the wood, sounds like a bit of a hassle but if you avoid even touching the asbestos then it might be a better option?

To confirm that is the struc engineer's job (based on advice from the adhesive suppier), not my field so I'm not sure myself but if I got it in writing that it would I'd be happy to go with it.

Just a thought, could you get some wood profiled to the shape of the corrugations in the roof, then contact a professional adhesive supplier, glue the wood onto the roof, get a struc engineer to calculate the relevant loads that this could hold, then put your fixing screws down into the wood, sounds like a bit of a hassle but if you avoid even touching the asbestos then it might be a better option?

Interesting idea but I'm not sure I like the idea of it. The corrugated board would be taking a lot of the weight, no matter how well you fitted the panels and I can just see panels ripping the corrugated board off the roof.

Reply to Mounting solution for corrugated cement roof in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net