Discuss MPBC to Gas Supply not required in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
What’s your take on this….If the Gas pipe entering a property is plastic then no MPBC required.
This seems to contradict this with the gas pipe IMG_3534.jpegto the meter is plastic then metallic to the internal

Last edited:
Sorry but I’m not seeing what is in fact confusing or contradictory about that.
Do you agree that if you stand inside the property there is nothing you can touch that is conductive to the real earth outside?

Maybe I’m over simplifying this and completely missing your point but I just look at each case and decide if I can grab hold of ‘real earth’ from inside.

The one thing to consider is it likely to become extraneous in the future.
I think my point of confusion is that there have been posts about plastic covered copper pipes, and posts about entirely plastic pipes (The pictures above have entirely plastic pipe, and a steel fitting with an insulated section.)
I agree they are two very different things.

Sorry but I’m not seeing what is in fact confusing or contradictory about that.
Do you agree that if you stand inside the property there is nothing you can touch that is conductive to the real earth outside?

Maybe I’m over simplifying this and completely missing your point but I just look at each case and decide if I can grab hold of ‘real earth’ from inside.
Yea I agree on that, with a water pipe its entry to the property must be plastic, & then no MBPC required.
The Gas pipe is plastic but not internal to the property, the metal pipework enters from outside to the inside of the property, is it an extraneous part most probably not.
The Regs insist on entry to the property must be plastic, in this case it’s not

I also like your way of thinking the real earth

Testing can sometimes be a help to ascertain whether it's extraneous or not.

Can you point out in the regs where they insist this ?
Over exaggerating the words there…& yes testing would give you the result.
I’m just making a point about the entry to the property .. belt & braces would say MBPC do it.. but things have changed

I find diagram 3 especially of interest.If I,m understanding it correctly ,by inserting a valve including "electrical insulation" in the metal service pipe, then no bonding required.This could be a get out of jail card in situations where running a main bond back to the D.B. could be problematic.

The one thing to consider is it likely to become extraneous in the future.
I think thats a valid consideration in the situation in diagram 3.

I find diagram 3 especially of interest.If I,m understanding it correctly ,by inserting a valve including "electrical insulation" in the metal service pipe, then no bonding required.This could be a get out of jail card in situations where running a main bond back to the D.B. could be problematic.

I think thats a valid consideration in the situation in diagram 3.

No different to the use of an insulating coupling really.

Reply to MPBC to Gas Supply not required in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net