Discuss MR16 LED flickering - can't access transformer - suggestions? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

diagonali

I've just replaced most of the halogen spotlights in my rented flat with LED MR16 LEDs and managed to swap out the old transformers for each light and replace with an LED suitable version and they worked great. There is one LED however, in a small bathroom for which I can't access the transformer. The person who fitted it, in their wisdom decided to make it completely inaccessible without ripping down the ceiling, probably thinking they'd never need changing - fairly understandable but very frustrating now I need to get at the transformer and can't.

Without changing the transformer, is there any other way of removing the flicker on the LED light? (which is very noticeable and not something that can be ignored).

I've found these: 12V MR16 Anti-Flicker Halogen to LED converter adapter which are in Australia and have been sold out for a long time (don't think they're coming back in). Is there any equivalent available in the UK that will smooth out the incoming current fluctuations?

Any suggestions/help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I dont know about the anti fliker device but try a different brand of led, some work with certain existing transformers. You might get lucky.

Tim

Can you not access the cable going to the tramsformer to cut it?,..

The transformer is in the ceiling (a low ceiling) but somehow is "stuck" behind a piece of wood. I can access the wire coming *from* the transformer, but the wire going *to* and into the existing transformer is inaccessible along with the transformer itself.

I dont know about the anti fliker device but try a different brand of led, some work with certain existing transformers. You might get lucky. Tim

This sounds like it might be the most do-able option. There are two lights in the small bathroom in question and I just run with one of them at the moment as the flickering LED flickers far too much to be useable. I was hoping for a solution along the lines of a "converter".....

Just put the halogen lamp back in.
The hassle (by the sound of it) to covert to LED, just doesn't justify the miniscule extra electricity it consumes!

I know it's only one bulb but I think halogen use a lot more elec than LED. The LED is 4w, wheras the Halogens were 50w. The one working LED in the small bathroom these (two) are in gives off a very nice light which wouldn't then balance or look right with a halogen in the other socket. The halogen is quite a bit brighter too. It's only a small bathroom, so unless there's a solution to getting the flickering LED working with the existing transformer I think I'll just keep it off and use the one LED which works well enough. The flickering LED is just sat there in it's socket, taunting me to do something to make it work.

Thanks for all the replies so far - it's not the end of the world if it's not solvable but I thought someone might know a simple solution to actually get the existing LED running flicker free. An alternative LED may be the only solution?

Can you not access any of the transformer supply cables to any light ?
If so wire in a transformer/fitting off that and dump the other

Can you not access any of the transformer supply cables to any light ?
If so wire in a transformer/fitting off that and dump the other

I'm afraid not, as it's a rented property and a converted old house into flats, the wiring is not readily accessible without causing significant damage. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Two 50w halogens are going to use a tiny amount of electicity, (around 100 watts, according to my calculations!) especially in a bathroom where they will not be on long. It seems more trouble than its worth trying to change them.

Off/ on topic question
Isn't a main cause of flickering LEDS due to dimming?

Not the only reason

Usually power requirements

They probably don't like the low voltage transformers supplying them

Tbh if the OP is changing lamps and trannys you might as well had just fitted a proper led downlighter like the aurora or halers

Reply to MR16 LED flickering - can't access transformer - suggestions? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net