Search the forum,

Discuss Multi Function Ladders in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Guys,

Need a new set of multi function ladders ideally for stair work and a little platform, if i am hanging over stairs I don't begrudge extra few quid to avoid a cheap pair so I can keep my neck in one piece been recommended these any one used them or got experience cheers in advance
Pinnacle 3-Rung Pro-Adjustable Ladder (PAL) | Ladder Sales Direct

Yep, get them mate. I had a pair of them for 6yrs until I left them in a back lane and they went walkies. Now have a similar pair but they have straight legs and a long straight bar across both ends. I hate them and want my old ones back! Don't fit in van nicely and the ends are too big and cumbersome in small areas. The ones in your link are spot on.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys,

Need a new set of multi function ladders ideally for stair work and a little platform, if i am hanging over stairs I don't begrudge extra few quid to avoid a cheap pair so I can keep my neck in one piece been recommended these any one used them or got experience cheers in advance
http://www.laddersalesdirect.co.uk/...innacle-3-rung-pro-adjustable-ladder-pal.html

Yep, get them mate. I had a pair of them for 6yrs until I left them in a back lane and they went walkies. Now have a similar pair but they have straight legs and a long straight bar across both ends. I hate them and want my old ones back! Don't fit in van nicely and the ends are too big and cumbersome in small areas. The ones in your link are spot on.

I have one of those multifunction ladders and to be honest it's not really that great on stairs. Works ok as a platform on level ground, but on stairs I didn't seem to gain much in the way of height.

I wanted to use mine this weekend to strip wallpaper, but in the end went with the normal ladder/plank combination to get a good height to work at.

Mine is also the one with the long bars across the bottom feet, which makes it quite cumbersome in smaller areas. Folding/unfolding was a pain in the rear.

I wouldn't recommend one, but perhaps others have had better luck with them.

i hate these things.

awkward to unfold in restricted areas.

as has been mentioned here already they have feet on them that are obtrusive...and watch the Max. payload on them as well....as the ones i were on the other day were physically bending with me on them...lol..

the levers that operate the hinges can be a pain to use..

nope, i just dont like them at all...

there is a better way:

Platform scaffold ladder multi purpose combination extension ladders aluminium | eBay

I agree with J@mes and Glennspark these are not great. I would go for the type Glennspark has suggested.
well it stands to reason doesn`t it...

anything with hinges half way along (highest stress point)..isn`t going to be up to to much is it...

their allrite for DIYers and occasional use...you just lose too much time as well setting the damn things up...and they just dont feel `rite` when your on them..

no thanks..

As has been said trying to set these things up in a confined space is a no go. I have a pair at home which I bought to decorate my staircase and ended using them as a straight ladder

These ladders certainly have their place when you are trying to get to a difficult area, but they are not really suitable for general use; I also have the ones with the wide bar at the base and it is a nuisance.
However I have used it to good effect as a work platform, when I need to be just stood off from the wall a bit to get to somewhere (as opposed to using a ladder stand off), when I need the change from extension ladder to A frame without the weakness and when I do not have the length to get a normal ladder in the vehicle.
But to use them as a general use ladder is just too inconvenient, time taken to set up, take down and the size of the base all count against.

I've had a pair for the last year and they suit me fine, however I do agree with the cons above.

The main benefit is they fold up so dont take too much room up in the van. I find them fairly light weight but sturdy.

They do have the straight bar running along at the bottom of the feet that I found a pain to start with, but I've got used to it and I like them now as they keep the ladder steady.

Like the others have said they can be a bit fiddly to unfold/fold up, especially in confined spaces, but again you get used to this. They might not be for everyone, but I really like them!

Hi have had a little giant ladder they are superb if a bit heavy but very sturdy, you feel safe the hinge is very strong had mine over 7 years and love it.Its a 5 rung extendible just fits in my transit van folded up , standing up in van. they extend in lots of different ways have a platform you can buy and are great for stairs check out the above link to site watch the video, not that cheap but you only buy them once.

After a year of use get some WD40 on the hinges and they are lovely and loose to unfurl! The new ones I have are a pain though. As others say in tight spaces they can be awkward but I found their adaptability very useful.

Abru are decent tackle,a little heavier than some,but falling off a lighter set spoils yer day. Having seen some nasty injuries caused by shight step ladders,the jigsaw goes through ANY that start to falter...

Little Giant or Waku

Have a 6 rung Waku ladder that is nearly 30 years old and a 5 rung Little Giant that is 15 years old still in good order best ladders I have ever bought and certainly good value for money

I have a set of these same as some of the others mentioned but tripples. 21014 4 Way Combination Ladder - Trade

I dont trust the ones with the spring clips at the top had them when working for a company and one of the guys sat on the top rung's and as he got up caught both clips and the ladder collapsed under him!

I love mine very handy, tip, take in back garden and practice how to set them up to the shape/size you need so you get the hang of it and not look like a door handle in front of a customer, also I bought roof rack mounting bars but adapted them using threaded bar to hang the ladders tight to the inside roof of van to save space,

I have a set of these same as some of the others mentioned but tripples. 21014 4 Way Combination Ladder - Trade

I dont trust the ones with the spring clips at the top had them when working for a company and one of the guys sat on the top rung's and as he got up caught both clips and the ladder collapsed under him!

Tbh this way my concern I know it's unlucky and unlikely but if you catch both clips or snap on you or something don't fancy coming down in a heap

Reply to Multi Function Ladders in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net