Discuss multifunction tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cmac70

anyone help me out. maybe the lads at test meter can shed some light.which of these is the better one [h=1]Metrel MI 3125 Eurotest Combo Lite or theMetrel MI3000 Easi Plus Multifunction Tester.:confused5:[/h]

Don't they have a compare thingy on their website? What are you using the tester for mainly, domestic, commercial, industrial, single-phase or 3-phase??

Hi marvo domestic, and commercial. So single and 3 phase. Yes they have and I looked at them both. I am thinking of going with the mi3125 because of the compact size. But help from anyone with hands on experience in field no harm in asking.

Specification wise they do the same thing, but the buttons on the 3125 are less easy to manage, however the size makes it more convenient to handle physically. But looks less impressive!
I have the 3002 and I like it, but as Glenn says the neck straps come loose over time.
They both have ramp test, phase rotation and auto RCD so really it is a personal choice between the two.

Sorry for the delay in reply - I agree with the above. Both specifications are the same, but the designs are completely different.

If you prefer the traditional neck-strap design, I'd go with the Metrel MI3000. The MI3125 Eurotest Combo Lite is predominantly a hand held tester which shares the same chassis as the Metrel PAT testers - very light and easy to manage. However, you can use it out of the soft carry case from around your neck. Another point worth noting is that the MI3125 is purely electrical when it comes to selecting tests; there is no mechanical rotary dial. This might not be a bad thing if you are working in dust or gritty atmospheres.

Finally, the MI3125 has an impressive magnet on the rear which is strong enough to support its own weight when it is attached to a metallic structure like a 3 phase cabinet - this is not a bad feature as it free's up your hands for testing.

If you fancy a trip across the M62 I can personally take you through both units, but let me know in advance if you do.

I hope this helps.

Hello all, sorry to hijack this thread, but I am also in the market for a tester and would appreciate anyones input. I require it for mainly domestic and commerical use.

I have 3 in mind: Megger 1720 MFT, Metrel MI300 Easi plus and the Fluke 1653B MFT.

They all seem to be good testers, but the prices vary alot between the megger and metrel.

Any info or opinions would be appreciated.

3125B with easi-switch tests ring final circuits very quickly. Software is good for analysis purposes. Manuals are rubbish though but I expect you knew that already.

The main reason that the Metrel MI3000 is half the price of the Megger MFT1720 is that 1) Metrel do not manufacture equipment in England, 2) Metrel do not currently carry the renowned brand that Megger has within the UK.

All of the Metrel testers offer you features like:

i) Automatic loop evaluation - the fuse characteristics from BS7671 are installed within the firmware of the tester. Tell the unit what device is protecting the circuit and also whether the circuit has a 0.4 or 5 second disconnection time, and your test result will be shown alongside a pass or fail indication.
ii) You can program your own pass/fail limits on test. For example, set a limit of 1 Megohm for your insulation resistance test, and any test result below this threshold will be displayed as a fail.
iii) All Metrel products are rechargeable.

However, there are some nice features on the Megger MFT's which should not be discarded that Metrel do not offer:
i) Automatic start on loop testing - you do not have to press a test button to proceed with the test (a God send from a calibration engineer's point of view!)
ii) Similar with continuity testing. Say for example you are conducting an end to end resistance test on a RFC conductor - as soon as your second test probe makes connection into the circuit, the continuity test starts without you having to press a test button.
iii) The ability to carry out a 2 wire line to CPC anti trip loop test.

Everyone has their own opinion to what test equipment they favour. Simply posting 'Megger', 'Fluke', 'Dilog' or 'Metrel' is not useful to an op without giving an idea as to why you think so!

In my opinion you need to try different models of tester in order to get a 'feel' for what is best for you. Personally, I love the feel of both Megger and Fluke testers, but I was lucky enough to use one during my apprenticeship 15 years ago! However, like every 16 year old I did not appreciate how much they are to purchase. Since working for test-meter, I have learned that there are other manufacturer's to consider other than the big two, which some of you may be unaware of. In a very brief summary:

Metrel offer a great, similar specification product for a lower cost than the likes of Megger or Fluke. Aftersales support is superb.

Fluke testers feel great, in my opinion their product ergonomics are second to none.

Megger products are so clear, colour coded and easy to use. All MFT firmware is now up to date and anyone reading this should NOT be put off by early MFT17XX reviews.

Kewtech - Do not discard them. The quality of the KT63, KT64 and KT65 is every bit as good as the Megger and the loop tests are extremely fast. Again, aftersales support is fantastic. Anyone that used to use an older Robin tester and liked them should definitely consider Kewtech.

Obviously, there are other brands of MFT available within the UK to be considered (Seaward & Dilog). The opinions above are my own - they are formed through both working relationships with the manufacturer's, but also through re-calibrating hundreds of different products. I get the 'feel' for test equipment like any of you would do.

If anybody is considering a purchase, I will be more than happy to demonstrate and for you to have a play with them connected to our calibrator. This way you can try all of the different test options like you would in your day to day roles, but without having to feel pressured into buying. Please understand and try let me know in advance if this of interest to you, as I would need to make sure that we do not disrupt our calibration schedule.

I hope this helps,

Chris @ test-meter

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Chris @ test-meter
Am on my second fluke 1652C, (my apologies not from you at test-meter) keeps coming up with ERR5 on loop test been told this is a "noisy earth" have you encountered this problem before. The supplier told me it was the earth in that location, as I explained to him its been the same in 3 locations and at £600 for a tester, Fluke can have it back, if a little noise on the earth stops it from giving a loop test.
Been to all 3 locations with a Megger no problems.
Advice please, I do as you say like the ergonomics of the fluke, have you had other MFT do this?

Hi, Fluke testers are traditionally very quick in conducting a loop test. I can only assume that they don't cancel out electrical noise on a circuit like other testers do, hence the rapid test result.

I've done a bit of research and you are correct about the error code. You can also still read the loop impedance measurement obtained by using the directional arrows - the ERR5 message is purely informative to let you know there is electrical noise on the system.

I don't know of any other brands of equipment that give you this message. Fair enough, a Megger or Metrel may take longer to conduct a loop test but they do cancel out any interference electronically.

Sorry for lack of information/help. As we're not currently a Fluke distributor, we don't have access to their technical service manuals unlike other manufacturer's

Edit - Also were you carrying out the same loop test configuration with the Megger? 9/10, you can rid a test of electrical noise by conducting your loop test at a higher current (not the anti trip setting), but you'll now be prone to tripping RCD's if they are present in the circuit

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to multifunction tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net