Discuss Multiple arcade machines turned on all at once in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

Got a customer that runs a games machine company selling various arcade machines, such as pinballs, fruit machines, duke boxes e.t.c

they are currently moving premesis to a new warehouse, and in the display area he will potentially have 20-30 machines all plugged in at once. The exact current rating of each machine will not be known as they will constantly be changing, so I can only base the current demand for my design on the average rating for these machines.

obviously for this type of scenario I am gonna have to install about 5 or 5 separate radials, the main thing I want advice for though is that he would like to have all machines coming on at once with one switch or isolator, rather than a separate switch for each circuit, as he doesn't want to have to go round and turn 20 or 30 machines off every night.

have any of you done a job similar to this before ?
Mainly my work is all in the domestic sector, but I don't really want to turn this job down as its potentially a good earner, with extra work that will be required in the future.

thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Caution,
The inrush of all those machines being turned on at once could be quite nasty, cause contact welds, tripped MCBs and so on, as well as the earth leakage tripping out RCDs. Reckon on 3.5mA earth leak per per machine, and a 30mA rcd may trip at 15mA leak. Power the final connection to the machines from some of these units and have a suitable contactor up stream, some 30A radials / rings with RCBOs and high integrity earthing springs to mind. I will let you do the maths

http://www.olson.co.uk/sequential_19.htm

I agree about the potential inrush current on startup, but contactors and a last man out switch (keyswitch) is the obvious way to do it.

There are a few options between having a big switch which powers everything up at precisely the same moment, and "having to go around turning everything off".
For instance you could run each radial via a 20A switch and turn them off via that, or you could run each radial via contactors and use a bank of light switches, or you could have one switch controlling several contactors via several different timed delays so you turn one switch on and the first radial turns on, followed by all the rest in turn, maybe in 1 second intervals.

ring/radial with rcd socket outlets? some machines may have dodgy diy wiring inside...

Last edited:
There are a few options between having a big switch which powers everything up at precisely the same moment, and "having to go around turning everything off".
For instance you could run each radial via a 20A switch and turn them off via that, or you could run each radial via contactors and use a bank of light switches, or you could have one switch controlling several contactors via several different timed delays so you turn one switch on and the first radial turns on, followed by all the rest in turn, maybe in 1 second intervals.
The units from Olson have the timer and relay built in http://www.olson.co.uk/sequential_master.htm

Sequencer would be the proper way of enabling start up,but earth leakage would be a separate issue...i remember as a kid,the bloke who turned on the machines at Fleetwood,had a big wooden handled switch throw,a la Green Mile...role on two...:shocked3:

Reply to Multiple arcade machines turned on all at once in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net