Discuss My first big quote!! - Big for me anyway! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have just been asked to quote for electrics to a 2 storey extension. I was going to turn it down as I do not have the experience but an electrician friend has said he will come along with me so I've gone for it!

I put the quote in yesterday so am still waiting for a reply but it would be good to get a feel from you guys as to whether it was about right, too high/low etc.

Quote was for a downstairs study/utility room/playroom/cloakroom and upstairs bedroom/large walkin wardrobe and ensuite with shower. Approx size is about 7.5m by 3.7m for each storey.

I know its difficult to get a proper picture without going into much more detail but it would start to be a bit of a boring thread if I did that! I quoted £1650. What do you think?

Last edited:
a bit low , IMO, but if you and your mate can make a decent wage out of it, then fine. hopefully 3/4 days will kill it.

Hi happyhippydad,

It really depends on the amount of points you have commited to for that. If there aren't too many it sounds ok. To be honest though, there is nothing like experience, I think jump in and see. I have been doing it for some years now and I still lose on jobs but luckily I also win. I judge my wages month by month not job by job. You will be amazed how it goes up and down.

Good luck

Kieran

If that is four rooms downstairs and two rooms upstairs (which seems a bit small for downstairs on 7x4m) I think you will have quoted competitively for the job. Assuming there is just basic electrical power and lighting and not media as well, should be OK. what is the split on payment for you / friend!

Hope you get the work and that the job goes well. (Good luck with the builder!)

If that is four rooms downstairs and two rooms upstairs (which seems a bit small for downstairs on 7x4m) I think you will have quoted competitively for the job. Assuming there is just basic electrical power and lighting and not media as well, should be OK. what is the split on payment for you / friend!

Hope you get the work and that the job goes well. (Good luck with the builder!)

Thanks Richard, We both trust each other so we haven't really discussed the split but he is the one with the experience and he is helping me out so I will make sure he gets his usual £200 p/day.

I dont think you will lose out, are smoke det already in place and board and bonding up together

Smokes already in, Main earthing and bonding are ok, CU has RCD protection for all circuits so nothing needed.

I must admit I'm chewing my nails a bit! Hope he goes for it, thanks for the replies! It sounds like the quote is about right as I'd rather it was perhaps a little low for the first time as I want the experience, but not too low.. :smile5:

Reply to My first big quote!! - Big for me anyway! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net