Discuss My MCS reg installer does not think my 4KW system needs registering with the DNO ! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Brixnmorta

The title says it all really, he says that he never registers installations with the DNO unless they are over 4kW.

Every forum I have read says that DNO registration is part of the installation process as much as registering with a supply company for the FIT.

Is there a concise statement of the law on this as I understand it is a legal requirement for installations to be registered within 27 days of commissioning. What penalties are there for not doing so and do they apply to me the customer or the installer?

With thanks
Brixnmorta

Re: My MCS reg installer does not think my 4KW system needs registering with the DNO

ye gods.

tbh this doesn't surprise me though, as I'm fairly sure this isn't one of the precise tick boxed items that the MCS assessments ask to see, despite it being a legal requirement.

legal basis for this is here http://www.energynetworks.org/modx/assets/files/electricity/engineering/distributed%20generation/080804_HSEexemptioncert.pdf

other info, including the appendix 3 form needed to be submitted is here ENA - Distributed Generation

Re: My MCS reg installer does not think my 4KW system needs registering with the DNO

the supplier informs the DNO anyway its only on multiple installations in same street DNO needs to be informed by the installer

The title says it all really, he says that he never registers installations with the DNO unless they are over 4kW.

I am shocked....
Is this the level of installer that we now have in the UK?

I have to say I am appalled by some of the things that I have seen in this industry.
The government seem to think that because somebody signs up to a code of conduct or pays an annual fee to MCS/REAL that the workmanship and standards will be first class, this clearly is not the case.

Your system should be restricted at the inverter to 3.68KW/16A to be compliant to G83 rules (Install and inform DNO within 28 days),
If the inverter is not G83 compliant then your installer has to obtain permission from the DNO to connect to the grid (G59).

My advice would be to tell your installer that he is wrong and he has a duty to inform the DNO, and under the circumstances ask for proof that they have done this.

Good luck.

the supplier informs the DNO anyway its only on multiple installations in same street DNO needs to be informed by the installer

I can't believe that that is right. The DNO needs to have test forms, circuit diagrams and type test certificates - the supplier doesn't have these so I can't see how they can be informing the DNO of the connection.

Regarding OP, I'd be a bit concerned. If I were you, I'd speak to the DNO and ask them their opinion. They could, in theory, refuse you connection if they consider that the G83 process hasn't been followed correctly. And lets be honest, it's not exactly difficult to do, is it?

Isn't the DNO the same person as the FIT provider? Also how would a consumer know if its been registered with the DNO? Is that something the installer is required to prove to the customer?

DNO, is the District network operator, (the people that run the grid) here in oxfordshire it is Scottish and Southern.

Then you have your energy provider, which you can choose from whoever you believe is offering you the best deal, it is an open market.

Your FIT provider can also be whoever you choose, you can use your energy provider if you wish, or you can use another company, all of my customers have their FITs registered with Good Energy, this is on my advise as I like their customer service.

I hope this helps.

No, the DNO is seperate to the FIT provider.

If the installer goes through the correct process then a consumer should receive a letter from the DNO explaining that they are permitted to connect to the grid.

I didn't get a letter from the DNO and am thinking the installer may not have told them. Is this likely to be a problem and are you up **** street because 28 days have passed since comissioning?

I would hope that the DNO would be understanding. It may be the case that Sedgy is right and the supplier informs the DNO - I would definitely make sure if I were you though.

no they don't, not only that but they legally can't, as the installer has to sign the bit titled 'declaration to be completed by installer' to declare that it has been installed and commissioned correctly.

The installer is responsible for submitting the appendix 3 notification to the DNO within 28 days of the installation, otherwise the installation is illegal, and presumably the installer could face prosecution under the ESQCR / health and safety at work act in the event that the DNO became aware of your installation.

You're referring to the advance permission that is required for multiple installations, which is a different situation. Check the links I previously posted if you don't believe me.

I didn't get a letter from the DNO and am thinking the installer may not have told them. Is this likely to be a problem and are you up **** street because 28 days have passed since comissioning?
It's really the installers responsibility, but it's possible that you could find yourself being told to disconnect your system at a later date if the DNO didn't know about it, and turned up to look for the source of local grid problems (usually that'd only be in the case that your neighbours had also had PV installed, but as the dno didn't know about your system they thought it ought still to be within the specs etc).

So far, it looks as if nobodies really been enforcing this stuff, but at some point I wouldn't be surprised if Ofgem put the appendix 3 database together with the MCS / FIT database and start sending out enforcement notices to those where the notification hadn't been done.

We've had a couple that ended up being sent in late, usually due to missing MPAN numbers or something, and it's not been a problem so far, but I'd definitely ask your installer for a copy of the appendix 3 notification form, and the approval letter from the DNO (that can take a fair few weeks to be returned to the installer).

I've had no approval letters from SSE for any of the installs I have notified to them.
On my assessment today I asked him if he wanted to see copies of my notification paperwork but he wasn't interested.

Electricity North West are ace, acknowledge every notification and provide advice at the drop of a hat, they've just approved a multiple installation for us today even though we're just quoting at the minute. We have to notify every job though, that's standard and I'm pretty shocked to see peeps who post regularly not realising that. Maybe got the wrong info from the DNO when they rang?????

I've had no approval letters from SSE for any of the installs I have notified to them.
On my assessment today I asked him if he wanted to see copies of my notification paperwork but he wasn't interested.
odd. I've just checked the paperwork for the jobs we've done up in scotland, and there does seem to be a lack of any response from SSE to any notifications.

I probably ought to also own up to finding one file that very suspiciously has 3 unsigned appendix 3 forms in it from last summer, so it looks like that'll be one that we accidentally didn't send off... *slaps wrist*

The assessors not being interested was what I was talking about with the lack of a tick box for it, which is a serious oversight given the rubbish they do have tick boxes for.

odd.
I probably ought to also own up to finding one file that very suspiciously has 3 unsigned appendix 3 forms in it from last summer, so it looks like that'll be one that we accidentally didn't send off... *slaps wrist*

I think you'll find that you did send them off, but as they're such a disorganised shower they lost the paperwork, but of course you would be more than happy to supply them with duplicates:6:

SSE don't send out responses, if you emailed in your notifications (to the correct, forever changing email address !!) then you will have got an automated response - they consider that as your receipt of notification and don't expect to hear anything else ....

Last edited by a moderator:

Western Power Distribution have acknowledged all my G83 notifications within a week, in each case issuing a letter giving permission to operate the installation in parallel with their network. The letter needs to be passed onto the customer as it also details ongoing responsibilities that fall on them.

I've only dealt with WP a couple of times, they are so much more organised than SSE it's hard to beleieve they are part of the same industry!
I had great difficulty even getting the forms from SSE. when I mentioned this to them on the phone they acknowledged it was a problem. I explained WP could be found through a simple Google search, so why couldn't SSE do the same via their web page. The response was a very helpful, 'well, we aren't Western Power so we aren't interested in what they do!'

Reply to My MCS reg installer does not think my 4KW system needs registering with the DNO ! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net