Discuss My Story on How to Become a 'Qualified' Electrician - for Career Changers in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

your not a spark mate,and the fact your running your own teams on national customer sites is quite worrying not just for the customer but for the trade

Agree with this ^^^
An interesting story and i wish you all the best BP
But youre not a qualified electrician.
All your quals are supplementary courses , you have no skills and theory core training.
And the JIB would not give you a grading if you applied for a ECS card.
And to say taking the 2330 is pointless ??? lol , you sound like a Electrical Trainee whos had a lucky break.

BP well done, extremely well done and bloody lucky to get a job like that.

as for taking the 2330 i agree with you whole heartedly, your employer has deemed you suitable for employment and knows what you hold. i would however look to take the NVQ 3 before it finishes...!

just to let you know i don't hold the 2330 c&q either!!

OP,Take your time, Rome wasn't built in a day!

IMHO you will be a 'fully qualifed electrician' when ever you get that Gold JIB card.

I know alot of people don't like the JIB, but they set the standard.

And well done on getting the 2391 anyway!

Last edited:
Naturally, there will always be a number of interpretations and opinions on what makes a 'qualified' spark, but that is missing the point to my post. My opening paragraph was highlighting that 'competency' was, in my opinion, more important than qualifications. The rest of my post was written in the hope for my story to help other career changers feel motivated and positive with their journey to becoming competent at the trade.

The 2330 is certainly not pointless! In fact, all qualifications have their place. However, not all are right for everyone.

Apologies for any misunderstandings. My original post was probably a bit long-winded! :lipsrsealed2:

Naturally, there will always be a number of interpretations and opinions on what makes a 'qualified' spark, but that is missing the point to my post. My opening paragraph was highlighting that 'competency' was, in my opinion, more important than qualifications. The rest of my post was written in the hope for my story to help other career changers feel motivated and positive with their journey to becoming competent at the trade.

The 2330 is certainly not pointless! In fact, all qualifications have their place. However, not all are right for everyone.

Apologies for any misunderstandings. My original post was probably a bit long-winded! :lipsrsealed2:

Ok , lets put aside the term qualified for a moment and look at your competency ;

You said ,

Quote "..........I took the courses over a period of 4 months"
"..........my course provider gave me 1 weeks in-house training before each exam"
"..........after 3 weeks of fast-paced on the job training"

Still think you're competent ?

To just to add that I think it's great what you have done but do you get paid electricians money at the firm you currently working for? If work was to go slack there and you were to go to another firm/agency you wouldn't get full electricians money because you would not be graded as electrician.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Ok , lets put aside the term qualified for a moment and look at your competency ;

You said ,

Quote "..........I took the courses over a period of 4 months"
"..........my course provider gave me 1 weeks in-house training before each exam"
"..........after 3 weeks of fast-paced on the job training"

Still think you're competent ?

I certainly wasn't at that point! Another 18 months of continually pushing my own boundaries has led me to become competent. If I had started this thread back then, you'd definitely have a strong argument to battle with me and seek flaws in my otherwise positive contribution.

To just to add that I think it's great what you have done but do you get paid electricians money at the firm you currently working for? If work was to go slack there and you were to go to another firm/agency you wouldn't get full electricians money because you would not be graded as electrician.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Good question :)

I am self-employed, but have recently partnered with the contractor I first started out with. We get the majority of our business through BNI, which is focused on business networking and earning trust with people of other professions by conducting weekly meetings and referring business to each other. If members prove they offer professional products/services, they continue to get referred - It's worked incredibly well for us so far, so I have no reason to question competency ;)

Thomas,

You missed the point to my post. It was more about highlighting a proven method of entry into the trade for the discerning business-minded individual. Some of my recent 'commercial' clients include Southend Airport, Fenwicks, Intimissimi, and Baskin & Robbins. To take the 2330 or any more qualifications at this stage would be totally pointless, since I have already achieved my goal.

I haven't missed the point at all, you said how you become qualified, well your not. You think your competent? After 2 years being in the trade I very much doubt you are. 2 years you will know absolutely nothing trust me! It's not until you qualify you realise how much you dont know and how much you still have to learn. But you wouldn't know that.. Because your Not qualified and not competent. Like alarm man said its worrying that you "supervising" you shouldn't even be allowed to work on your own yet.

Reply to My Story on How to Become a 'Qualified' Electrician - for Career Changers in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net