Discuss Need help with advising a friend.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jabbajaws

Hi All,

A friend of mine has been given a 16th Edition Board with a single RCD. So far everything seems ok, even though he shouldn't be doing this, i'm afraid that he is one of these people with the view that its his house and he'll do whatever he wants.

He is about to place 2 ring final circuits into one 32A breaker (mcb) and is asking me why he cant do so, as he says the both circuits will be protected by one breaker. I've told him not to but he is asking why, why why?

Now speaking to people and trying not to use sparky jargon is quite hard for me, as l always end up being technical, which makes people look at me like ive got two heads.

What can l say to him in laymans terms, to try and talk some sense into him?

Anybody???

P.S. He doesnt believe in water/gaspipe bonding and thinks its unecessary.

Point him in the direction of BS7671 for the technical aspects of the work and Part 'P' of the building regs for undertaking the work.

Failing to understand that, invite him to speak to his local building control for some impartial advice ...... and also gently remind him its a criminal offence not to conform to Part P!

Sorry, but tell your friend to "do one". What's the point in him having a mate who is a spark if he doesn't listen to him? His work will not be compliant with the Regs or Part P. Find another friend:gunsmilie:

He is a bit of a skinflint im afraid. Does everything himself. And will probably die by his own hand if its down to him...

Thats why I always try to stress on anyone buying a home get a full EICR done first as you just cant see whats underneath the surface ......... and believe it or not the worst EICR's Ive completed have been on house installations modified by "industrial" electricians!

Thats why I always try to stress on anyone buying a home get a full EICR done first as you just cant see whats underneath the surface ......... and believe it or not the worst EICR's Ive completed have been on house installations modified by "industrial" electricians!

Try that, for some reason they pulled in a two core instead of a three core.

Did he pull in a three core? Nope he pulled in a brown single that was lost by plasterer lol

Don't be disheartened if your friend is destined to go his own way,that is what is so entertaining about us humans,let me think of the things some of my friends have opted to do over the years...tax-fraud,drug abuse,violent assault,bigamy,murder,mis-use of a disabled badge.....Get the picture? ...advise,sit back and watch the show...

Tell him he's a dipstick for not listening to sound advice, hope thats no too technical for him,

Don't be disheartened if your friend is destined to go his own way,that is what is so entertaining about us humans,let me think of the things some of my friends have opted to do over the years...tax-fraud,drug abuse,violent assault,bigamy,murder,mis-use of a disabled badge.....Get the picture? ...advise,sit back and watch the show...

Jeeze, you didn't happen to know the Yorkshire Ripper too by any chance?

Tell him the best case is that it'll trip when he has the washing machine, kettle and oven on at the same time and worst case is his house will burn to the ground killing him and his family! Severe but very possible when a diyer doesn't connect cables properly or just decides to snip the earth as it won't stretch to the new busbar position!!

Jeeze, you didn't happen to know the Yorkshire Ripper too by any chance?
Fortunately not,looks bad wrote down,but the truth is the truth...forgot to mention one of my closest friends has the misfortune to be the brother of the brainless idiot responsible for the tragic circumstances at Tebay Re; rail accident...a case in point of the result of a man who cuts corners in all aspects of his trade,and the terrible results that can follow.

He might just be trying it on with you , you won't change him , let the idiot get on with it , sometimes the more you try the more destined they are,,,

To be honest there is nothing technically wrong with 2 circuits in a single MCB. If he wants to do it - then let him. Sounds a bit of a muppet.

PS my last house had 2 x ring circuits on 1 x 30A BS3036 fuse for about 30 years!

amazing how people wont trust another person who is far more in the know (qualified) than themselves.....years ago i was attaching a hydraulic grab claw to a komatsu, it needed 3 feeds in 3 feeds for 9 fingers of the claw 3 each,...easy to follow, coz the seperators for the feeds were going to cost £45 each, my boss decided that he dint need um one feed will be fine

fitter- your gona flood it ad blow the seals and destroy the pump
boss- i pay the wages

...you cant argue with that, and when we ordered a new pump 2 days later for over a grand (a grand 15 yrs ago)....my boss decided that 3 feeds would probably be best

why challange those who know ?......as i go thru the motions and qualify in a few yrs, i had better get used to ppl "knowing better than me i guess, ...customers are alway right,...so iv heard.....

tell your "mate" to do one,...hes egging you to do it for him, for free,....like you said,...skinflint!!!

To be honest there is nothing technically wrong with 2 circuits in a single MCB. If he wants to do it - then let him. Sounds a bit of a muppet.

PS my last house had 2 x ring circuits on 1 x 30A BS3036 fuse for about 30 years!

Same as the house I previously owned, some of the earthing involved a jubilee clip & a car exhaust clamp.....saying that, it tested out fine

Reply to Need help with advising a friend.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net