Discuss New battery or starter for it in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Since this winter, I realized that the batteries on my cars have outlived theirs, I decided that I needed to take new batteries, but later I found such a thing as a starter, does anyone use them? what kind of feedback can you give? Then I read about some models and selected a couple of options suitable for me.
NOCO GB150
TOPVISION 2200A
Or not bother with a choice and upgrade your batteries?

The jump starters you mention aren't meant to replace the battery, they're designed to give the battery a boost when it's not got enough charge in it to start your car. The clue is their capacity is stated in miliAmpere hours whereas a car battery's capacity is stated in Ampere hours. Bottom line is there's no substitute for having a battery that's in good condition. Also buyer beware with these types of booster, there's a lot of complete rubbish on the market.

Your battery is still used by your car after starting. Having a failing battery will cause problems in the future and it may also damage your charging system such as your alternator. Just fit new batteries.

The Lockdown in the UK has highlighted a lot of problems with car batteries that are not evident if the car is used every day, there is only one thing to do and that is replace the battery with a decent one.

As above, replace battery and use a decent make. Cheap batteries are rubbish and you will regret buying one.

Also, if your car is to be left not driven for a couple of weeks or more, then consider using a battery optimiser to keep it in good condition. Both my motorbikes are left on these semi permanently at the minute!

As above, or if your battery is decent disconnect it during a long ideal time, it can save the battery from discharging too far, hope that advice works for me on the mower battery I disconnected over a year ago, it worked for a period of six months, but a year may be pushing it. ?

As above, or if your battery is decent disconnect it during a long ideal time, it can save the battery from discharging too far, hope that advice works for me on the mower battery I disconnected over a year ago, it worked for a period of six months, but a year may be pushing it. ?

Still be worth putting it on a conditioner I reckon Mike. At least you haven't got to worry about losing radio codes, etc. Unless you've really pimped your mower up of course ?

Well worth putting any batter on a conditioner, but you need mains power where the item is stored or take the battery off and store it somewhere more convenient, may take my own advice there ? if I ever get to the place again. ?

Thank you all very much, which company would you recommend batteries?

We're mostly a UK forum, but we do have some US members who may be able to give better advice on manufacturers. Typical brands here would be Varta, Yuasa, etc. I think these are fairly multi national.

Reply to New battery or starter for it in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net