Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss New build 2nd fix after original contractor gone AWOL in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Bellendian

Bellendian Active EF Member

As the title really....been asked to 2nd fix a couple of new builds....original contractor no longer available, I don't know why. 1st fix completed, everything plastered up...
    Somehow these houses need to be completed, but I'm not signing an EIC stating that I've first fixed when I haven't...
    This must come up all the time, so I guess their must be a workable solution that keeps everyone happy?

Cheers

2. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    The electrician must have belonged to a scheme, what do yours and theirs advise?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

I'd find out why existing contractor is no longer available.

I got asked to do similar with a new build a couple of years ago. Turns out existing contractor wouldn't return as he hadn't been paid for the works. And on a little further digging nor had most trades on the job.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

That's strictly not true. The BC may accept their qualifications and allow them to notify directly ...

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

you need your eyes wide open on this one op ,I would think like 123.alarm bells might start ring .

6. Murdoch

First contractor not available ................ probably owed lots of money ....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

which scam are you with op .

8. buzzlightyear

the pages are open till the post is finished .take your time we have all night .

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

I with the OP, guess it happens on more than one occasion, you know what builders (developer's) are like. When monies involved I bet it gets swept under the concrete carpet.

10. Bellendian

Ha! I'm with nic, apparently original guy was as well. Nic reckon one option is to see if bco will accept eicr rather than eic to enable bco to issue a completion cert. I.e. I would not notify the work via self cert scheme, bco would issue part p compliance, and I would issue eicr to confirm all my work in order....
    What bothers me is what happens when I'm testing, and turns out IR is ****ed since cable pinched or screwed through as 1st fix was pony.....
    It's gonna be daywork I think...

11. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    looks like:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. buzzlightyear

you know the nic do not do third party , so it down to the builder to sort that out .not you .
    good luck if it was me I would walk away .just remember your insurance has well .

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  13. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    In that case, there will be a paper trail of who done the work.
    You'll all hellbent on thinking the worst have you ever thought that the original electrician may have had to stop working for health reasons for example. This can't have been the first time that this has happened. You know who the contractor was he may well be able to sign off an electrical installation certificate for the first fix. Before you take on this contract this is something that you need to address with the builder regarding issues outside your contracted role. The NICEIC and LBC should be helping you to do the right thing this may well be that this is now through LBC and the extra cost taken out of the previous electrician's retention monies.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bellendian

Yeah, we aren't talking 3rd party here, even if nic did operate such a scheme, i'd only sign off if i'd witnessed 1st fix before boarding.
    Eicr route effectively means bco taking responsibility for first fix as I see it. Question is; will they? Find out tomorrow I guess...

15. Murdoch

Not all BCO's will accept EICR's .........

• Agree Agree x 1