Search the forum,

Discuss new build some questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ufkir

-
Reaction score
Hi guys been more of an observer than a poster but need some answers if anyone can help so here it is.
i have picked up some work on a couple of new builds that were started before the recession the original sparks have went bust so im told any way i have been asked to finish the job but there are a couple things that concern me.
1 The meter box is outside on the wall and they have brought a split concentric in to the consumer unit > 3 metres
also it is not > 50mm below the surface can i fit an s type rcd from the meter to then feed a kmf.
2 The family bathroom has a 240 v fan cored through the wall in zone 1 above bath is there i think it about 2mtrs from floor but not if your standing in the bath is this okay i have a feeling that fans were okay as long as it was above a certain height in zone 1 thanks to all in advance

Hi guys been more of an observer than a poster but need some answers if anyone can help so here it is.
i have picked up some work on a couple of new builds that were started before the recession the original sparks have went bust so im told any way i have been asked to finish the job but there are a couple things that concern me.
1 The meter box is outside on the wall and they have brought a split concentric in to the consumer unit > 3 metres
also it is not > 50mm below the surface can i fit an s type rcd from the meter to then feed a kmf.
2 The family bathroom has a 240 v fan cored through the wall in zone 1 above bath is there i think it about 2mtrs from floor but not if your standing in the bath is this okay i have a feeling that fans were okay as long as it was above a certain height in zone 1 thanks to all in advance
so 7 years ago at least then?

Is it in Zone 1, or outside the zones?
Is it suitable for the environment it is used in?
What are the manufacturers guidelines?

Why do you think it has to be above a certain height?
I presume you mean so that it is outside Zone 1?
If so, there is no need if the equipment is suitable for the intended position.

Only you can answer these questions, so make an informed decision, based on your training, experience, and reference to BS7671, as to whether the equipment is in a suitable position.

so 7 years ago at least then?

and the most important fact concerning that statement is ??.............

yep , the original install would have been designed to 16th ed regs , but will now have to finished to 17th.

i'd be very reluctant to agree to finish work done to an old spec , all sorts of unexpected probs will crop up.
bathroom zones being 1 of them.

hi alanl its in zone 1 yes its about 1.5 mtrs high on the wall if you stand in the bath i just thought it a bit on the low side thats all
any thoughts on the first point in my post as it will be this that gives me the most probs thanks for your help

and the most important fact concerning that statement is ??.............

yep , the original install would have been designed to 16th ed regs , but will now have to finished to 17th.

i'd be very reluctant to agree to finish work done to an old spec , all sorts of unexpected probs will crop up.
bathroom zones being 1 of them.
Yes very true, I got side tracked waiting for the OP to confirm he owns a regs book lol, good point Biff, very good point.

check with building control ...

took on a block of flats that were designed and started whilst 16th edition .

site closed for the recession

re opened in the 17th

flats were finished to the 16th edition design ...

was employed by a firm at the time so didnt get involved in technicalities

check with building control ...

took on a block of flats that were designed and started whilst 16th edition .

site closed for the recession

re opened in the 17th

flats were finished to the 16th edition design ...

was employed by a firm at the time so didnt get involved in technicalities

this is true.
an extended cross over period was granted for the finishing off of 16th edition projects.

but if your local council doesnt want to play ball and the clerk of works is a knob then problems could arise.
some clever writing out of certificates will be needed to cover your arse at the very least.

the biggest concern for me is that split con submains buried in the walls , not a prob under 16th but a lbit of a liability now.

That Split con will have to come out if buried. S type RCD's wont help you as they are not 30ma. Replace with SWA and install switch fuse as over 3M from meter to CU.

agree with meggerman as to SWA and switch/fuse. then complete the job/s to comply with current regs.

cheers meggerman,telectrix thank for all your help guys oh and mdj i have bgb just coudnt be arsed trawling through it,thanks again for all your help guys

hi biff thanks for the reply yeah i know but the site has another 13 houses to be built and i need the work.

Personally if you are getting another 13 installations out of it take this one on the chin and bring it up to current standards.

Don't think you could use the designed to the 16th get out clause unless you can find the original designer to sign the cert.

Reply to new build some questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net