Discuss New combi boiler in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Am posting in here as i'm not registered on the plumbing site and i know some come over from the dark side and read on here.

Question :
I went to client today to conect his immersion heater as boiler was broken and no hot water, no issues there. Then he tells me the plumber has quoted 3k to fit new boiler, though was a bit steep as only changes to pipework for conversion to combi. Then he told me was told boiler could not go back in same place (kitchen external wall) as regulations said it must be in a cupboard so its being put in airing C/B, not heard of this regulation about the cupboard issue. All i could think of was the pipework was easier to change about at that point and did not say. did say i should be done in the day, not sure on make of boiler .

so is this overpriced ? and what about the cupboard ?

He's an old boy and did not want him taken for a ride.
cheers for any replies.

that's where i was going. What happens if you have no cupboard in the house ?
Plumber is a big name round here so would not have thought he would tell porkies but thought as he's big name the price would be higher than others.

Old guy probably in no mare than an average size house?

So:
A half decent combi boiler and flue kit £900ish
Lets say copper pipe and fittings £100 max (allowing for 15 - 20m maximum of pipe and fittings due to relocation)
Just say £200 for buggerance.

£1800 for a days labour!!!!!

Is there a 5 day course I can go on??

I had 2-2.5k in my head when i see it but i'm no plumber and was only going by other jobs iv'e seen.
He was a nice old boy and think he was taken in by him, but i may be totally wrong and more work involved than he said but a days work never the less. Just sounded wrong to me.

standard boiler swap should take no more than a day and cost no more that 2500 and thats for a decent model

teh like of 3k+ and your talking BGAS and NPOWER terretory with consumer finance packages..!!

Last year in my mum's house (3 bed detached - can't remember the BTU output) we got a new boiler, a small amount of pipework, new flue, new timer controller and thermostat for £1950 so I think £3k is a bit steep.

I think he should get at least another 2 quotes and not tell the other firms what he has been quoted,i do wiring for a heating engineer,and he puts combi boilers in kitchens,bedrooms,dont see that a cupboard makes any difference,as far as i am aware all boilers these days are sealed units,not like the old ones where they had to be in a cupboard with airvents,another heating fitter i know said he done a boiler change in a day and made a grand,its just being greedy those prices.

If he's currently got a system boiler on a Y plan, then surely the simplest solution is a replacement system boiler even if it must be in a new location. Bear in mind that the regulation clearances to windows etc for a fanned flue are less than for a non-fanned flue thus they are less restrictive for retrofit. And some models can have flue extensions.

Get more quotes and advice.

cheers all for input, will relay info to him. Am hoping he will take notice of what i say.
Can't see many of us sticking a grand on, just for the festive season, just another greedy plumber then.

Am posting in here as i'm not registered on the plumbing site and i know some come over from the dark side and read on here.

Question :
I went to client today to conect his immersion heater as boiler was broken and no hot water, no issues there. Then he tells me the plumber has quoted 3k to fit new boiler, though was a bit steep as only changes to pipework for conversion to combi. Then he told me was told boiler could not go back in same place (kitchen external wall) as regulations said it must be in a cupboard so its being put in airing C/B, not heard of this regulation about the cupboard issue. All i could think of was the pipework was easier to change about at that point and did not say. did say i should be done in the day, not sure on make of boiler .

so is this overpriced ? and what about the cupboard ?

He's an old boy and did not want him taken for a ride.
cheers for any replies.

"Hello needasparks",

I am a Heating Engineer - Unless there is a reason why the Combi Flue cannot be Terminated Externally on the Outside Wall - for example that the Condensate `Plume` from the New Condensing Combi Boiler Flue would impinge on the Neighbouring Property / Garden / Car Port etc. - then the statement about the New Combi NOT being able to go To / Near the Existing Boiler Position seems to be Completely Incorrect.

Apart from Restrictions for Flue Terminations usually an outside wall is the Best place to site a Wall Hung Boiler - But this may NOT be the best place for connecting a Combi Boiler to both the Heating and Hot Water - plus Water Mains Pipework - Although a Kitchen usually IS the BEST Place in the Home to do this - unless a particularly HIGH Hot Water Output Combi is being Installed - which I am Guessing is NOT the case here [?].

There often IS an Issue with siting a New Condensing Boiler in the same position as an Existing Boiler - because of the Condensate `Plume` - BUT - the comment about the Combi HAVING to be sited in the Existing Cylinder Cupboard does make Me think that this IS because of being able to access most of the Heating and Hot Water Pipework more easily from that position.

Siting a Combi Boiler in the Existing Cylinder Cupboard usually would allow easy access to the Heating Flow and Return as it is often ther case that these are run to the Cylinder Cupboard when an `S Plan` System or similar is installed.

Obviously the Hot Water Pipe is also within the Cylinder Cupboard - it used to be connected to the Cylinder - Also sometimes the Water Main either runs up to the Loft Space in the Cylinder Cupboard - Or can be run down into the Cupboard from the Loft Space - where it will be supplying the Tanks.

Installing the New Combi in the Cylinder Cupboard - IF it is located in the middle of the property - does present more Work and Cost to Install the Vertical Flue - And to run and Terminate the Condensate Pipework - But these considerations MAY `outweigh` the Heating and Plumbing Pipework Work [?] - Although as the Existing Boiler position is in the Kitchen - with the Mains Water and Hot Water Pipework nearby - I find this hard to believe.

I obviously cannot be `Sure` about the above - BUT - there is NO Combi Boiler that HAS TO be Installed in a Cupboard !

With regard to the Price - as was identified by another Member - approximate Good Manufacturer Condensing Combi Boiler - Pipework & Fittings - Electrical Controls - Timeswitch or Programmable Room Thermostat / Or Both [IF included in Price ?] etc. could be purchased for less than about 1350 Max. - IF Installed on the OUTSIDE WALL - Plus the Labour and Electrical Labour and Materials to wire the Combi and Controls.

This would be more Expensive if the Combi is to be Installed in the Cylinder Cupboard because of the Cost of the Flue Pipe and Fittings to Install a Vertical Flue - And the Penetration of the Roof and a Weathering Slate - Installed by a Roofer - ?

There is also the issue of running the Boiler Condensate - which should ideally be Plumbed Into the Household Soil / Waste Water system - sometimes a Condensate Pump is required when the Boiler is sited in an Internal Cupboard - so there is another additional Cost for the Condensate Pump - Pipework - connection to a Waste Pipe or Soil Stack and the Electrical Wiring etc.

These last Two Paragraphs contain MORE Reasons why I would NOT be wanting to Install the New Condensing Combi Boiler in an Internal Cupboard !

Chris - Heating Engineer - Registered Gas Engineer

Last edited:

Reply to New combi boiler in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net