Discuss New supply to Combi Boiler in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Brad88

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having a new boiler fitted in a new location. I need to provide power for the boiler which I'm looking to do myself.

Boiler: Ideal Logic Max 35KW Combi

I've researched the electric supply requirements from the manufacture (image below)
My consumer unit has a spare Contactum 7106B 6A breaker
I plan to run 1.5mm Twin & Earth from the above breaker to a 3A DP switched fused spur. The cable run is roughly 6 meters. Am I missing something or is it this straight forward?

Worth mentioning the Gas and Water pipes are bonded at the meters. After reading BS.7671 regs (below) I'm not clear on If I need to bond the pipes at the boiler too:

BS.7671: Domestic installations
• Take one bond to incoming metallic water and gas pipes.
• If there is a metallically piped central heating system, bond it in one location. This is not necessary where any metallic pipe, bonded elsewhere (e.g. metallic water pipe), is connected and tests satisfactorily for continuity.
• If the structure is metallic, take a bond to one location; this is not necessary for intermediate metallic stud partitions or individual metal beams and the like.
• The central heating system will probably not need a cable bond connection if connected by metallic gas or water pipes which have themselves been bonded

I will be getting an EICR test done but this is likely to be after I've run the new circuit.

Boiler manufacture:

1694001955841.png

Any help, comments or advice is much appreciated.
Thank You

Last edited:
1.5mm T/E is the correct cable. no need to bond pipes at boiler. 3A fuse in your FCU.

You will highly likely need RCD protection on the circuit if there isnt already....

You will highly likely need RCD protection on the circuit if there isnt already....
Hi
I don't believe there's any RCD protection on the circuit. The circuit will be connected to a Contactum 7106B standard circuit breaker, running 1.5m T&E connecting to a 3A Fused Spur.

I could look to change the circuit breaker to one with RCD but this is getting outside of what I feel comfortable doing unless there's an RCD breaker that is a direct replacement.

Other option is to fit an RCD fused spur such as:

Last edited:
It’s not the appliance that needs the rcd protection, it’s more the cable that makes up the circuit.

A photo of the consumer unit might help here.
Some boards had an rcd mainswitch which covered a number of mcb’s….
Now the preferred method among electricians is swapping the mcb for an RCBO…. Which is an rcd and mcb combined device…. But nothing wrong with one rcd serving several circuits. Just a little more difficult fault finding.

It’s not the appliance that needs the rcd protection, it’s more the cable that makes up the circuit.

A photo of the consumer unit might help here.
Some boards had an rcd mainswitch which covered a number of mcb’s….
Now the preferred method among electricians is swapping the mcb for an RCBO…. Which is an rcd and mcb combined device…. But nothing wrong with one rcd serving several circuits. Just a little more difficult fault finding.
Hi. I've attached images of my consumer unit below which should hopefully help. I don't see any RCD protection tbh

Attachments

• IMG_1.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 17
May not require RCD protection, depends on the installation method.

Last edited:
I did say “likely” need…. So can we ask how the cable is being installed?
Surface? In trunking or conduit or buried in a wall?

I did say “likely” need…. So can we ask how the cable is being installed?
Surface? In trunking or conduit or buried in a wall?
I plan on using trunking given the consumer unit backs onto the utility which is where the boiler is going to be located. Trunking just below the coving and then drop it down to the boiler. Solid concrete floor so don’t fancy burying the cable. Ta

Reply to New supply to Combi Boiler in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net