Discuss New Home - Advise Needed in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I know for you guys this is straightforward...call the service provider, see what the say and after decide. But this will take time and it will hold the work in the living room and kitchen.

We are a young couple buying our first house which is in need of a complete refurbishment and renting out a flat while we carry out the work (The house is not in move in condition) We have very little diy knowledge and we are trying to get as much information as we can before we get the keys.

At this point we are trying to estimate the cost of the work that we want to carry out to discard ideas and prioritise work.

If you could help it could be great.

dani, we can not estimate the work for you e.g. what your local dno charge you for move the steel wire armour service cable.
you need a local spark in to up grade your consumer unit
and moving all cables to the consumer unit when moved.

thank you your your replies. I understand what you mean.
Plan B would be leave the cut out where it is, create a fake wall with a little door and turn the meter and CU 180 degrees.

Would it be easier and cheaper to do? What's your personal opinion?

plan b.JPG

My idea is to create a little kind of wardrobe with the opening facing the opposite way.

I would ask an electrician to turn around the CU and the service provider to install a new smart meter at the same time. Could this be done?

Aproximate -translation (please correct me if I'm wrong)
The bit with the grey flap -hanging down =CU
(do-able but plenty of wiring will be hiding in wall ! =-a house re-wire )
Black box and meter , belong to DNO . Expensive ! as NOT Yours ,
(=electicity supplier)

Proposed door swing looks a problem !

Last edited:
Your problem is the supply cable
Does this wardrobe make the suppliers cable and cut out accessible (note it has a fuse that may need to be removed) can it be maintained when its covered
If it can,the meter and consumer unit should cause less concern regard re positioning

Moving of the suppliers cable would be disruptive and expensive with the additional work/expense of the consumer unit and/or wiring
Possibly specifying a new design of the kitchen would be a easier proposition

@ OP.your first move is to get your DNO ( Scottish Power?) to quote to relocate the service head, then, if you are happy with that, get a local electrician to quote for a consumer unit move. once you have those quotes, which should not involve any cost for quoting, then you can decide on your next move

@OP
this is the first step,
as you tag says you're from Perth you will need to contact Scottish & Southern Electricity Networks who is your distribution network operator(DNO) and ask for a quote for a service alteration (move the black cable and little black box in your second picture) which can be done via the link here.
Or download this Form.
Second step
Then your energy supplier (British gas, Eon, SSE, EDF Energy, etc.) will have to move the meter.
Third step
Get an electrician in to do a rewire.

Total price would all depend on how big your house is and how much needs to be rewired. small house IE 2 bed, kitchen bathroom would be ÂŁ2000-ÂŁ3000 for the rewire alone + ÂŁ400 for DNO/supplier to do there bits. (going of the last one i did) But a different DNO could charge more or less. until you get a quote for them its impossible to know.

I live just outside London and the DNO (the electrical supply company) don't do anything chargeable for less than a grand. So to move all the stuff before your consumer unit (fuseboard), thats the big black cable coming out of the floor, the box attached to it and the meter would cost at least a grand. This is to move it a short distance, further will be more. I doubt if is going to be much different up your way.

They sometimes will negotiate but it isn't going to be cheap. On top of this you will have the electricians cost to move the consumer unit.

Leave it where it is if possible and spend the money on something nice to go into your home.

What is the deal with Part P or equivalent up north of the border? is it a free for all and no schemes? or do you still have to go via your local authority for permision and testing etc...?

Whereas all electrical installation work carried-out in England Wales is notifiable to the LABC, and all installers need to be registered with a scheme, things are different up here in Scotland. As things stand at the moment, homeowners and landlords have to be able to prove that all new electrical work and any additions or alterations to an existing installation complies with the building standards system that we have up here. Responsibility is exclusively theirs. Certain types of work in certain dwellings require a building warrant, while other types of work don't. For instance, the rewiring of a flat in a multi-occupancy building would require a building warrant whereas the rewiring of a one or two-storey house would not. But the rewiring of a house having three or more storeys would!

Guidance on electrical work not requiring a warrant (Domestic) - http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Built-Environment/Building/Building-standards/publications/glf2

I've rewired properties where the owner has not obtained a building warrant! All I am obliged to do is forward an Electrical Installation Certificate to the LABC along with a photocopy of my SJIB grade card and a photocopy of the calibration certificate of my my Megger MFT 1730. It is at this point that the LABC will contact the homeowner or landlord to enquire why they have not applied for a building warrant, but that is not my issue. While most sensible property owners will heed my advice and obtain a building warrant prior to the commencement of work, there are always going to be some who do not, but that's ultimately their problem, not mine.

My understanding is that legislation will be forthcoming compelling anyone who wishes to sign-off on their own work vis a vis building warrants will have to become a registered Approved Certifier of Construction. This will require the successful completion of a one day course and further fees being paid to SELECT/NICEIC and the Scottish Government.

www.sbsc.uk.net/faq.php

Since not all work electrical work in Scotland is notifiable, the door remains open for non-competent, non-qualified persons to carry-out electrical work. Alas, such practice is still commonplace up here, and in my humble opinion, the present system is broken. I'm having to compete with 20 year-olds who haven't completed an apprenticeship and are fresh out of college. Although the guidance issued by the Scottish Government emphasises that persons carrying-out Electrical Installation Condition Reports should be approved electricians - therefore qualified to undertake inspection and testing as you can't be graded as an approved electrician if you don't have a qualification in inspection and testing - I know for a fact that there are young guys out there doing EICRs who are not approved electricians and have no qualifications vis a vis inspection and testing. If some of the EICRs that I've read recently are anything to go by, then some of these guys should not be doing EICRs as it is quite evident that some of them don't really know what they're doing. As I said, the system just isn't working up here. Some of the examples of poor workmanship that I come across on an almost daily basis are truly shocking.

That said, I understand that SELECT and the NICEIC are both currently in discussions with the Scottish Government regarding the finalisation of forthcoming legislation that will require all persons carrying-out electrical work in Scotland to be registered with either SELECT or the NICEIC. My SELECT assessor believes that this could happen in the next six months or so. About time too.

Reply to New Home - Advise Needed in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net