Search the forum,

Discuss New road tax system in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So I Receive a reminder yesterday telling me both the vans were due at the beginning of December and this is my last chance to pay before I presume I get fined. My question is have I missed the original letter or do they not remind you now when it is due, Are we now expected to remember when it's due for renewal. Also how come if it was due at the beginning that they have allowed until the end of december without a fine.

I miss the tax disc already, it was much easier having a constant reminder in the windscreen.

I still don't know though whether they expect us to know when it's due or if they still notify you when it's due Clive can you shine any light on it.

Even though we received the reminder for the misses car last month for the December renewal, I only remembered the tax disc on the 18th of December - nice and easy on line - but why can't they just send out a tax disc?

I think this change is assuming everybody has the vehicle registered at the correct address and we are all law abiding!

The thing that I find strange is I have been driving for a month with no tax and have not been pulled once or fined so it does seem like a flawed system. I could understand if having failed to tax it that it then went onto the database and triggered anpr's etc but it seems it is going to work in the favour of the tax dodgers, while the honest drivers keep paying when they could probably not bother.

Last edited:
I reported two cars parked outside my house that (according to the gov website) were SORN. Three weeks later they clamped the remaining vehicle and the owner must have paid the fine because they released it the next day!!!
It's a farce really.

That's the thing with the tax disc in a windscreen it shows you what you need to know, Don't get me wrong I know technology advances and I am all for that but why try to fix something that isn't broke unless of course you're a Plumber.

If you ask me, the tax disc way was archaic and should have been scrapped years, if not decades, ago. New system is much easier even if it means we're gonna have to drag a few people kicking and screaming. And yes, we certainly are a nation of moaners.

If you ask me, the tax disc way was archaic and should have been scrapped years, if not decades, ago. New system is much easier even if it means we're gonna have to drag a few people kicking and screaming. And yes, we certainly are a nation of moaners.

But it worked, the new system is no better, and possibly a little worse.

But it worked, the new system is no better, and possibly a little worse.
My dad's 15th edition board works too, but we all know there are improvements in store to be had. Yeah the new tax system hasn't been without its teething problems, but it's definitely a step in the right direction in my eyes.

But the moment you hand over the cash for the car you have travelled 100 miles to buy is technically not taxed , although the paper work is not through you are still breaking the law driving it. Right?

But the moment you hand over the cash for the car you have travelled 100 miles to buy is technically not taxed , although the paper work is not through you are still breaking the law driving it. Right?
This was my point I have technically been driving for a month with no road tax ( not intentially obviously ) and nothing as happened. I am curious now though whether I will get a full 6 months or whether I will lose a month due to the late payment.

This was my point I have technically been driving for a month with no road tax ( not intentially obviously ) and nothing as happened. I am curious now though whether I will get a full 6 months or whether I will lose a month due to the late payment.
The thing that gets me is its supposedly a modern system but we still work in months. If I buy a car on the 25th I will have to pay a months tax for 5 days motoring which is wrong. There's no reason our new system shouldn't be able to handle everyone's months starting on different days.

The new tax period will start from when the old one expired.

You can't be fined until the start of the next month, (you never could be) as you may pay up on the last day.

Previously you would have been fined for Failure to display, but that can't happen anymore.

Reply to New road tax system in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back