Discuss new shower feed in shop in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
need to supply new 8.5kw shower in dog grooming shop. from 4way whylex d/b which has no
spare outlets...any ideas of best way to provide this...maybe off a seperate rcd/switch?:crazy: only didnt want expense of changing board... but may have to if no alternative. regards.

What about adding an additional 2 way consumer unit with RCD. Must be bloody big dogs to want a 8.5kW shower fitted. Cant you fit a 3.5kW one instead?

Last edited:
Henley block and split the tails and add a 2 way rcd cu as above. Keep an eye out for over loading, only 4 ways atm so maybe 16mm tails. Look at the total load before starting and remember diversity.

For a start, you would be better off installing an immersion heater set up so that the hot water can be controlled far more closely through a mixer head or hot & cold tap arrangement (or even via the IM thermostat) than with a typical instantaneous shower heater. Animals are far more sensitive to the temp' of hot water than humans. 8.5kw sounds to be well over the top in any event to my mind.

Depends on the size of the dog....
husky, leonberger, deerhound etc...need a lot of water to get them washed and properly rinsed out...
There are thermostatic electric showers out there, possibly one designed for the use of the infirm would be a good move.

To be honest, by the time you've messed about with Henleys, 2 way CU's, odds of tails etc, it's cheaper just to buy a new 6way board! Unless you think there's a circuit fault on the old one that you want to avoid.......

And a 7/8 kW shower is standard fayre for washing pooches these days.

thanks... certainly is the best way forward...same old same old thou..Iv'e suggested the tenants. ie people renting shop..ask landlord to contribute to cost of upgrading...as present arrangement not suitable.... 6way rcd protected etc etc be the best way forward. Which i would do for almost a v reasonble cost. If they decide to get flash- bang te sparky to chuck a feed in off the board and save a £100 well up to them. As for the shower its whats they want...I'm not a dog groomer.
(isnt that illegal :lol:) anyway ill keep you all posted. ty for your replies.

And a 7/8 kW shower is standard fayre for washing pooches these days.

Must be mad when they can install a 3KW immersion heater. A 1/2 to 3/4 hour cycle and you have a full tank of more than enough hot water to wash a multitude of pooches...

Must be mad when they can install a 3KW immersion heater. A 1/2 to 3/4 hour cycle and you have a full tank of more than enough hot water to wash a multitude of pooches...

Depends on how big/hairy the dogs are.....
My collie /husky mix needs a LOT of water to get her clean (lots and lots of hair....), Leonbergers and Alastians are just as bad...

My collie /husky mix needs a LOT of water to get her clean (lots and lots of hair....), Leonbergers and Alastians are just as bad...

Give them a crew-cut... problem solved.
Use Immac instead of shampoo... again, problem solved.

Old wylex!... change board end of!... you need one point of isolation for the whole installation if you Henley block it you will need to have another isolator upstream of the henley block this ends up costing more than a 17th board £55 with mcb's included - 1hr to change 15mins to test... not too costly in my mind.

Whatever way you look at it, an immersion heated tank is going to be far more economical to run than an 8.5KW shower unit....

Reply to new shower feed in shop in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net