Discuss New to the forum - Cdn seeking info on transferring licensing in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello!
I will be moving to the UK in about a year from Canada. I am looking for information on who is the governing body for electricians in the UK. I am a red seal electrician and master electrician here in Canada. Over 12 years experience, 4 also as my own electrical contracting company and now I am an electrical estimator.

I know my training will not directly transfer over and will need to do some training/courses prior to moving. Who look at this stuff and determines that?

Cheers!

A lot depends on what you want to do when you get here.
There’s no legal requirement for you to register with any body at all.
However registering with a body may make things easier for you.
For domestic work you would need to register with a Competent Person Scheme, NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA, STROMA, there may be more?
For commercial or industrial work, you would need to register with the JIB/ECS, or at the very least the CSCS scheme.
You would probably need to get your qualifications translated, I believe a company or body called Naric would do this.
Most of the electrical schemes would want you to show you have core electrical qualifications, a qualification showing you are up to date with our latest Regulations and something called an NVQ3.
For domestic work you might also need a qualification showing you are conversant with our Building Regulations (Part P).
You should contact the JIB and perhaps the NICEIC by phone or email to make enquiries.

Naric woukd in theory recognise your qualificayltions.
If yoh just want to do domestic work then 15 days of courses at one of the training companies here would let you join a scheme to self notify work to building control

I will look into those names mentioned above and send out emails. I have experience in residential (domestic), agricultural, industrial, institutional, hospitals, commercial, fire hall/ambulance etc. I am currently an electrical estimator for a electrical contractor. And I am registered to be able to pull electrical permits for the company I work for.
Is an estimator considered that in the UK? I look at jobs and price them/bid for the work.
Sorry I am asking a lot of questions, it’s just unfamiliar territory for me.

Cheers!

Reply to New to the forum - Cdn seeking info on transferring licensing in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net