Discuss Newbie hello, plus advice! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

PaulRoss

Hi all,

I've just registered with the Forum with the hope of getting a few answers to my questions and also with the hope of finding out a bit more about the trade!

So, I'll tell you a bit about myself!

I'm currently serving in the Royal Navy as a Marine Systems Engineer, I have been in the service now for a little under 8 years. I have a Foundation Degree in Marine Systems Engineering through carring out an Engineering apprenticeship and have some experience of working with Three Phase generation and three phase equipment, I also have management qualifications and lots of experience in the Marine industry! My role at the minute does involve more mechanical aspects than electical!

I intend on leaving the Navy in approximately 12 months and it is my intention to become a civilian electrician, I therefore have a few questions which I'm hoping you guys can answer! I will receive quite a decent amount of funding from the Navy to enable me to carry out courses when I decide to leave!

I have done my research on potential courses and I have realised that the best electrician qualifications to have are the likes of:

C & G Inspection and Testing
C & G PAT testing
C & G 17th Edition Wiring Regs
C & G Part one and Two qualifications

Do you agree and are there any other relevant courses???

What are the most important of the above courses???

I have seen many companies offering around seven week courses and giving some good electrical qualifications to enable me to start as a civilian electrician, do any of you guys have opinions or experience of these companies and is this the best route for someone in my position??? I understand many electricians serve lots of time in an aprenticeship to enable them to get to a high standard!

It is my intention (if you agree) to get as many qualifications as possible and then (hopefully) work for an electrical contracting company to build up a good portfolio of experience, sometime in the future however I would like to perhaps start up as a self employed electrician and develop my own electrical contracting company!

I am therefore seeking guidance as to the best route for someone in my position, I am slightly older than the average person starting off in the electrician industry and also have financial commitments!

Any and all advice would be gratefully welcomed!

Many Regards

Paul

Hi paul and welcome.

Quals

17th edition is the basic entry level qualification for want of a better way of putting it, and is a must.
2391 is a must have in my opinion if you wish to seek employment for someone else, I am self employed and haven't got it but am on the January course.

I say this because looking around the jobs market etc these 2 are what everyone is asking for.

Part 1 and Part 2, Pat testing.........

This depends on what your'e background and experience consists of. I am ex RAF and was trained in Avionics, so the only civvy quals relevant to being an electrician that i have are ONC Electrical Engineering, and C&G 2381 17th edition, but i have a lot of experience.

Get any relevant qualifications that you can get your hands on. Dont go self employed until you have some experience or you will fall flat on your face for all sorts of reasons.

With your background, 17th edition and 2391, you will be employable as an Electrician but try and get some experience even if you have to do it for peanuts. Don't work for nothing!

Get hold of the following books and study them in great detail

17th Edition Wiring Regulations
17th Edition Wiring Regulations On Site Guide
IEE Guidance note 3 testing and inspection.
IEE Electricians guide to the Building Regulations
Also have a look at some of the books written by Brian Scadden, he has written a lot on the subject.

You will get some more well informed replies to your post so keep coming back, and have a good nosey about, there are some very clever people in here.

Cheers..............Howard

Welcome along.

There are quite a few ex navy chaps on the forum......they'll be the ones with the best advice for you.

Ideally the courses to follow are C&G 2330 L2 & L3, C&G 2382, C&G 2391.

Although with the history you already have you could probably forgo the 2330 and just follow the 2382 & 2391

seeing as though you are leaving in a year it gives you 12 months head start so maybe try and get the 2330 now and bolt the others on when possible

Hi guys,

Thanks for all of the great advice so far, I get £2000 per tax year to spend on courses so it is now my intention to see what courses I can get covered prior to April 2011, then after April I'll be able to get the next £2000 amount and really set the ball rolling!

I have just heard of a guy in my workplace that has carried out a similar process, so I'll keep you all informed on what the outcome is!

Again, many thanks!

Hi all,

I managed to get hold of the guy today and after speaking to him, I have decided that I am going to take two weeks leave in January and carry out the EAL Part P course and the 17th edition wiring regs, this will enable me to use some or all of my £2000 training grant this year and then I'll also be able to apply for it again next year to do a few more courses! I am going to do these courses with a company called Anvil Electrical Training, they come highly recommended.

If you get chance, could you check out this link and let me know what you think of the courses on offer??? http://www.anvilelectricaltraining.co.uk

I have been in touch with a few of my local electrical contractors and intend on going out to gain some experience with some of their electricians in the near future, this will give me some more insight into how thinks work outside of the Royal Navy.

Thanks again!!!!!

Reply to Newbie hello, plus advice! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net