Discuss Newbie trying to avoid electrocution in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DaveRowntree

All,
I'm based in Southampton, and trying to be useful to our local hackspace (somakeit.org.uk) during our move into bigger premises! We need to do some basic electrical work (just extending ring mains, to add loads more sockets) and some little projects which I'll talk about in a separate thread :)

Dave.

Hi & welcome. :)

The best way to avoid electrocution is to have the work assessed and installed by a competent electrician.

Hi Sintra,
Yes of course! However, several of us can easily handle installation work, but I think we'll ask someone to assess what we did and make corrective suggestions. This isn't difficult work, it's just extending circuits already present!

Thanks,
Dave.

Hi and welcome.

Me thinks your landlord may ask for Certification of changes so ask around for a local spark through recommendation.

Thanks guys,
Yeah we know we will need to get it all checked out and certified by someone qualified to do so (I know of someone I could talk to) but we'll do all the donkey work, so any corrective works and testing will be quick and easy for him. And hopefully cheap.
We have very little funds, so we'll source everything via donations and re-cycling, inspecting everything very carefully for damage, and taking only the best looking parts!
We have several quite bright members, so following the wiring regs shouldn't be too hard...

But! Of course, we will get an expert to check and signoff, so we don't cause our (very generous) landlord any problems in the fuure!

Regards,

Dave.

Thanks guys,
Yeah we know we will need to get it all checked out and certified by someone qualified to do so (I know of someone I could talk to) but we'll do all the donkey work, so any corrective works and testing will be quick and easy for him. And hopefully cheap.
We have very little funds, so we'll source everything via donations and re-cycling, inspecting everything very carefully for damage, and taking only the best looking parts!
We have several quite bright members, so following the wiring regs shouldn't be too hard...

But! Of course, we will get an expert to check and signoff, so we don't cause our (very generous) landlord any problems in the fuure!

Regards,

Dave.

So WTF are you fannying about wasting everyones time on here for???!!!!

Getting someone in to look at it after you've done it all is too late!

To sign off an installation you have to sign your name to the design, construction and initial verification/inspection and testing.

So the person who is going to sign it off needs to be involved in all stages of the work.

You say corrective action will be easily done afterwards, but what if you have used the wrong size or type of cable for the job? You might extend a ring final circuit in 2.5mm when due to factors you hadn't considered it needs 4.0mm.

Being intelligent and reading the wiring regulations is not enough to start doing a job which needs a minimum of 4 years training under a skilled tradesman.

Hi,we Cover Southampton, based in Fareham.
Give me a call maybe we can help you. As said though, if you do the work first, it's too lAte your on your own I'm Afraid. You wouldn't plumb a boiler in then call a gas man would you? Electricity is no different

OK, I know I'm naive in the art of the spark, all i'm suggesting is finding someone willing to advise and ideally sign off. I will involve them in all stages from before work starts. I understand this is a skilled professional taking a number of years training, but this particular job is not complex.

Thank you for your comments, this will make things easier for a small unsupported group of volunteers only trying to make things better for our community. We have no money we need to rely on our skills and resources and take advice from where we can. Paying a tradesman to do all work would blow our budget out of the water!

Dave.

Getting someone in to look at it after you've done it all is too late!

To sign off an installation you have to sign your name to the design, construction and initial verification/inspection and testing.

So the person who is going to sign it off needs to be involved in all stages of the work.

You say corrective action will be easily done afterwards, but what if you have used the wrong size or type of cable for the job? You might extend a ring final circuit in 2.5mm when due to factors you hadn't considered it needs 4.0mm.

Being intelligent and reading the wiring regulations is not enough to start doing a job which needs a minimum of 4 years training under a skilled tradesman.

So WTF are you fannying about wasting everyones time on here for???!!!!

You've read the forum rules about being nice right? You should try it, maybe you'll make more friends that way.

I'm only trying to get advice as to what I need to do to make our unit safe without blowing the whole budget on a sparky.

Don't bother replying I'm not interested in your comments, and I won't read them.

Have a nice evening.

Dave.

Hi,we Cover Southampton, based in Fareham.
Give me a call maybe we can help you. As said though, if you do the work first, it's too lAte your on your own I'm Afraid. You wouldn't plumb a boiler in then call a gas man would you? Electricity is no different

Point taken, we'll be in touch when we've decided what the requirements are.
Much appreciated,

Dave.

You've read the forum rules about being nice right? You should try it, maybe you'll make more friends that way.

I'm only trying to get advice as to what I need to do to make our unit safe without blowing the whole budget on a sparky.

Don't bother replying I'm not interested in your comments, and I won't read them.

Have a nice evening.

Dave.
You'll need to excuse the, highly respected, Geordie for his reply. You see he is probably fed up of people like yourself coming on and belittling our trade. If it's so easy why do you think we spend years learning how to do it safely and properly? Do you know how even a little mistake could kill you, or someone else! You have been given the best responses you are likely to recieve already and that is to get a qualified electrician in. It might blow the budget but can you put a price on someone's life? I'm not sure what you do but you could advertise locally, maybe someone would provide a favour for a favour type of deal or similar?

You'll need to excuse the, highly respected, Geordie for his reply. You see he is probably fed up of people like yourself coming on and belittling our trade. If it's so easy why do you think we spend years learning how to do it safely and properly? Do you know how even a little mistake could kill you, or someone else! You have been given the best responses you are likely to recieve already and that is to get a qualified electrician in. It might blow the budget but can you put a price on someone's life? I'm not sure what you do but you could advertise locally, maybe someone would provide a favour for a favour type of deal or similar?

Thank you. :)

Geordie is indeed fed up to the teeth with these bloody pi$$ takers that plague this forum!

When I joined I was under the impression that it was a forum for electricians. Was I wrong??

Reply to Newbie trying to avoid electrocution in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net