Discuss niceic assesment advice in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

atkins_1

Hello. I have my niceic first assesment soon and am looking for any useful advice or tips on the 2 jobs they will be inspecting.

The first 'major' is a cu upgrade. All done 17th edition split load board. (Anything to watch out for they're picky on)?

Second is straight forward 16amp radial circuit in trunking supplying 1 socket below the board in an under stairs cupboard. 100mA rcd main switch already in with 5 existing circuits, I use a 16a 30mA rcbo to protect my circuit.
( anything I should do or check for)?

All testing on both complete, any advice on certification would also be great.

Thanks for any useful comments.

Dave

hi

do's n dont'ts

do
leave a circuit list on or near board
identify all conductors
fill in every box on cert with a result or put n/a dont leave blank
remember safe isolation
my assessor always seems to ask about the ze of tns tncs tt

always leave something for them to find then they are happy. i will often put wrong psc of main fuse in. then as they are reading it point it out to them and give them the correct figure.
My assessor is always happy when I point things out to him,the other thing is to remember that the are there to assess your knowledge and diirect you not to criticise you unless you are doing something really dangerous/life threatening. witch i'm sure you wont be.

as said before just relax and don't panic, I still get nervous but should do as ive been assessed for over 7yrs know

one more thing is to have a list of questions that you want answering always keeps the conversation good.

GOOD LUCK you wont need it im sure

the donts

PANIC just relax, they are there to help and guide you

hi

do's n dont'ts

do
identify all conductors
remember safe isolation

always leave something for them to find then they are happy. i will often put wrong psc of main fuse in. then as they are reading it point it out to them and give them the correct figure.
My assessor is always happy when I point things out to him,the other thing is to remember that the are there to assess your knowledge and diirect you not to criticise you unless you are doing something really dangerous/life threatening. witch i'm sure you wont be.

as said before just relax and don't panic, I still get nervous but should do as ive been assessed for over 7yrs know

one more thing is to have a list of questions that you want answering always keeps the conversation good.

the donts

perhaps thats all he knows....

Hello. I have my niceic first assesment soon and am looking for any useful advice or tips on the 2 jobs they will be inspecting.

The first 'major' is a cu upgrade. All done 17th edition split load board. (Anything to watch out for they're picky on)?

Second is straight forward 16amp radial circuit in trunking supplying 1 socket below the board in an under stairs cupboard. 100mA rcd main switch already in with 5 existing circuits, I use a 16a 30mA rcbo to protect my circuit.
( anything I should do or check for)?

All testing on both complete, any advice on certification would also be great.

Thanks for any useful comments.

Dave
I can't confirm what a domestic installer inspector will require, but in general the NICEIC like the paperwork up to scratch and will test your ability to test the job correctly, make sure everything is right and you will be fine, best of luck to you. Mike

hi

do's n dont'ts

do
identify all conductors
remember safe isolation

my assessor always seems to ask about the ze of tns tncs u

Thanks. Really great advice all round.
Jusy one thing about the safe isolation.
To what extent do they want to see. I mean if im there testing the board and not going anywhere I dont need to lock anything off doI..?
Just check testers on incoming side of main switch , test board is isolated at bottom of main switch and re check testers.
Anything else?

Thanks. Really great advice all round.
Jusy one thing about the safe isolation.
To what extent do they want to see. I mean if im there testing the board and not going anywhere I dont need to lock anything off doI..?
Just check testers on incoming side of main switch , test board is isolated at bottom of main switch and re check testers.
Anything else?
if its for the purposes of a Ze....then just isolate + prove
if its (R1 R2) then get it locked....

At least you're getting an assessment!
We didn't get one last year and so far not this one either
:rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

And I've still got the QS to drop in the S**t for not being 17th ed qualified :82:

Yep paperwork paperwork paperwork. Make sure all your literature is up to date
I've been caught out on the guidance notes a couple times as I haven't got the right coloured little blob on the cover
As to the locking off bit I keep the lockoff kit in my pocket to produce and ask if he wants me to lock off stating we're not going anywhere etc.
Normally happy with that and only had to actually lock off once in 10 years of going through it but I forgot to offer one time and I wouldn't suggest you do that on your 1st inspection :wink_smile:
Anyway if its any consolation 1st ones the worst (the unknown) they get easier after that one. Once they're happy with what you know they seem to ease off a bit.
The assessor I've had for the last few years calls it a learning experience. He says he's not there to try and find fault but to identify any areas I'm lacking knowledge and help me fill the gaps.
Thanks mate........ :joker:

Make sure you have all your literature up to scratch. Have a list of questions. Safe isolation procedure. The past few times I've had questions about supplementary bonding since the 17th edition. also make sure main bonding conductors are marked up and circuit charts are in place. All pretty standard stuff but it's stuff they like to see. And don't worry about it. They are there to help.

Hi all. Thanks for your advice. Just thought I'd let u know I passed my visit and all went really well. Nice bloke actually. Thanks again, its good there's forums to ask and get useful advice.
Ta. ;-)

hi

do's n dont'ts

do
identify all conductors
remember safe isolation

the donts

Just remember that youll be perfectly ok, even if you ignore all of the above, you still be ok. it seems to me that they sign up any tom dick and harry to these schemes nowadays. it used to be a privilege to be a member of the NICEIC role.

Hi all. Thanks for your advice. Just thought I'd let u know I passed my visit and all went really well. Nice bloke actually. Thanks again, its good there's forums to ask and get useful advice.
Ta. ;-)
Well done; Not so bad once you have passed!
Just have to remember it all for next year!
Thanks for the update.

Just remember that youll be perfectly ok, even if you ignore all of the above, you still be ok. it seems to me that they sign up any tom dick and harry to these schemes nowadays. it used to be a privilege to be a member of the NICEIC role.

Always one to put a posiive thread down.
It's dave, not tom or dick or Harry.
And thanks for bringing the mood to a low.
I'm guessing your a member of any role then ... unless your name is Tom or harry... or DICK...?

Sorry mate and well done. You should be proud of yourself. I know I was when I joined up (when they were a real charity). However, after a few years you will begin to realise just what they are really about and that is purely, making as much money as they possibly can. Good luck Atkins and don't let my realistic views bring you down mate, you keep reading the Conditions of Enrolment through those rose tinted specs. Just remember that glasses get scratched sooner or later. ;-)

Always one to put a posiive thread down.
It's dave, not tom or dick or Harry.
And thanks for bringing the mood to a low.
I'm guessing your a member of any role then ... unless your name is Tom or harry... or DICK...?

Stick around here for a few weeks and YOU WILL realise that the schemes to allow any Tom, Dick or Harry in PLUS they do absolutely NOTHING to police the quality of the members nor do any form of random checks, nor follow up observations made by other members.

make sure all your literature is available i.e. on your desk. on my last assessment he asked for the NIC guide to testing, i said its downstairs in my van, 5 minutes later i came back up with it, he said he'd already written on the form that i hadnt got it because i was so long finding it. he said he couldnt cross it off the form, something to do with the fancy nokia biro he uses!!

Reply to niceic assesment advice in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net