Discuss no bonding no rcd and she only whats a small job done in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dim_bulb

asked to quote for putting in a humidistat fan in bathroom and two outside lights but...

old board, 16mm tails, no rcd; no bonds to gas or water

when i said you need earthing in place and the work i carry out will need a rcd garage unit as its work outside and in a bathroom which is all going to cost alot just for when she wanted a small job done. i felt like a jobs worth

cant see another, way can you?
luke

I'ts a bitch...we've all bin there.....only option is to try and persuade her that her installation needs upgrading,and you would be negligent adding to a potentially unsafe install.

I did hear of some saying that you can get away with 16mm tails if the main cartage fuse was only 60 amp. It depends on the length of the tails and the demand. Im sure there is a calculation somewhere for it! as for the ccp is it square route of I2 times t over k i cant find the calculator signs on my keyboard

usual case of thinking nowt of spending £2-3 grand on a bathroom, but won't spend £400 on making the electrics safe.

outside lights spur from a socket using a rcd fused spur.

low voltage humidistat in bathroom outside of zones,if bonding is up to scratch from me does it still need an rcd? i think so.

We have all been there, I generally take a copyof the bonding & earthing guide to show people that I am not ripping themoff. But its always difficult because people don’t expect it.

ian

We have all been there, I generally take a copyof the bonding & earthing guide to show people that I am not ripping themoff. But its always difficult because people don’t expect it.

ian

I had a quote to do yesterday and the guy only called about putting a new supply for a cooker,no spare ways in consumer unit,main bonding only 4mm,its definetely the bonding that they stare at you in so much surprise,anyhow all we can do is tell them what is required and keep the price reasonable,down to the customer if they want to have it upto the current standards,i always back it up with a "the wiring seems fine,it just does not conform to the current regs"hence all new work carried out has to meet the current regs,most understand eventually.

Like my old boss used to say "If what you can see is crap, just imagine the state of what you can't see!"

If customers get insistent on doing any first fixes themselves, It's easier said than done to just walk away from the job so remind them that you will be noting it on the cert so if anything goes wrong, it's them who'll be forking out for it.

asked to quote for putting in a humidistat fan in bathroom and two outside lights but...

old board, 16mm tails, no rcd; no bonds to gas or water

when i said you need earthing in place and the work i carry out will need a rcd garage unit as its work outside and in a bathroom which is all going to cost alot just for when she wanted a small job done. i felt like a jobs worth

cant see another, way can you?
luke

So much of this boils down to education and mentality. People just don't seem to accept that the electricity in their homes CAN KILL THEM OR SOMEONE ELSE. The fact that the customer who you went to see wants a fan installed would suggest that she has a problem with moisture. That could quite easily for a pool of water somewhere and turn in to a nice little bridge linking a live connection to her plumbing.........

If they don't want it done to regs, don't do it at all. I know it can be difficult esp when it's a little old lady but if you do it just to help her out and something happens to her, her family and the authorities wont see it that way. Gotta be cruel to be kind.

in a house the other day earthin was t n s but only 10mm main earthin. was talkin to the kitchen fitters who said they gave a price from my boss to someone who was havin a new £8000 kitchen fitted for electrical work but this guy told em he would pull cable in himself. I think the attitude is if its not on show it dont matter but i would have said the opposite was true. What do you guys think. Have you had this before?

And the problem is ...............?????

Reply to no bonding no rcd and she only whats a small job done in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net