Discuss No power to section of ring main. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Edwar65

Hi all, I'm a newbie to site so please be gentle with me on this query! I attended a house recently to repair a damaged socket/back box on an upstairs ring main. However after isolating and repairing the socket in the bedroom concerned, the householder said that none of the sockets had worked in the room concerned since the day before, which I duly checked on power up and were found to be dead. 2 of the sockets look as though they are on the ring with an additional spurred socket a total of 3 in all.
The householder has confirmed that all other sockets upstairs are working. As the fuseboard has been partially boxed in I was unable to check within the CU without removing a section of 4x2 wood that blocks one of the CU securing screws.
I will be re-attending the house next week and as I have limited fault finding experience, wondered what the best procedure would be to try and find the cause of the fault without pulling up floorboards etc?
I have access to all relevant test meters and experience of test procedures.
many thanks for any help

Hum... take your tools, your MFT and a notebook and pen.

If you can't open the CU your only choice is to do the necessary tests at a socket - but remember that when doing any IR tests you will need to switch off the RCD or man switch to ensure that the N-E is isolated.

Once you have a "ring" confirmed you can work from there.....

Sounds to me that you will probably locate a spur off a socket with a few sockets on it!

Please let us know what you find.

First on the list is to advise customer that before you arrive on your planned visit, is to make sure the CU is full accessible so you can carry out safe testing. Thats just common sense :)

Step 1 - discuss the fault with the customer, and read between the lines to find out what they aren't telling you about the situation. Make sure to ask about any switches they may have turned off or just don't know what they do as it is sometimes the case that sockets are fed from an sfcu and someone turns it off but doesn't associate it with the sockets not working.
Step 2 - remove the wood blocking access to the CU after advising the customer that they are a damned fool for blocking it in in the first place.

Hi all, I'm a newbie to site so please be gentle with me on this query! I attended a house recently to repair a damaged socket/back box on an upstairs ring main. However after isolating and repairing the socket in the bedroom concerned, the householder said that none of the sockets had worked in the room concerned since the day before, which I duly checked on power up and were found to be dead. 2 of the sockets look as though they are on the ring with an additional spurred socket a total of 3 in all.
The householder has confirmed that all other sockets upstairs are working. As the fuseboard has been partially boxed in I was unable to check within the CU without removing a section of 4x2 wood that blocks one of the CU securing screws.
I will be re-attending the house next week and as I have limited fault finding experience, wondered what the best procedure would be to try and find the cause of the fault without pulling up floorboards etc?
I have access to all relevant test meters and experience of test procedures.
many thanks for any help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSATFrqlSpg

I intend to gain access to the CU by removing the aforementioned wood. I do have a feeling the person may not be telling the total truth as there is evidence of renovation in the house,coving etc and she mentioned an addition to a room in the loft,possibly taken from the offending bedroom with no power!!!
assuming I gain access to CU, do I test just for continuity and R1/R2?
assuming duff readings, where would one look next?
thanks.

I intend to gain access to the CU by removing the aforementioned wood. I do have a feeling the person may not be telling the total truth as there is evidence of renovation in the house,coving etc and she mentioned an addition to a room in the loft,possibly taken from the offending bedroom with no power!!!
assuming I gain access to CU, do I test just for continuity and R1/R2?
assuming duff readings, where would one look next?
thanks.

Cough, cough.... yellow pages for a spark?

righto Mr know it all, I've only asked for some friendly advice, no need to take the ****.

Don't anyone is taking anything, it's plain to see you are out of your comfort zone, as a Trainee you should have someone mentoring you ask them what to do, I sent you a link on RFC testing, this vid explains everything.

Don't anyone is taking anything, it's plain to see you are out of your comfort zone, as a Trainee you should have someone mentoring you ask them what to do, I sent you a link on RFC testing, this vid explains everything.
232 electrical engineering trained on 11kv kit and associated substation equipment back in 1992-1994.
Cheers.

232 electrical engineering trained on 11kv kit and associated substation equipment back in 1992-1994.
Cheers.
Did the Testing Video help you in anyway? it's nice to know these things, after we take the time to search the net. Your profile has you down as a Trainee at what stage are you at? You may find you will get help more attuned to knowledge if you apply for access to the Trainee forum, one of the staff members will be able to help you with this.

Last edited:
Did the Testing Video help you in anyway? it's nice to know these things, after we take the time to search the net. Your profile has you down as a Trainee at what stage are you at? You may find you will get help more attuned to knowledge if you apply for access to the Trainee forum, one of the staff members will be able to help you with this.

Hi, yes the video was helpful,thanks. I've recently done several full eicr tests but I tend to link out the l/e at the board and test for continuity,R1/R2 etc at the socket,lighting points etc, it would be interesting to have feedback on procedures/methods other leccys use?
I noticed in the video he used an adaptor at sockets and took tests from there, the guys I work with tend to use the same procedure as me?
cheers.

Reply to No power to section of ring main. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net