Discuss non contact voltage detector for £1.98 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have a Fluke one always to hand in my pocket, this looks like a cheap Chinese imitation and wouldn't trust is as far as I could throw it.
i'll let you know if they're any use when i get the 2 i've ordered. at least they got a little led light.

i'll let you know if they're any use when i get the 2 i've ordered. at least they got a little led light.

Cheers, but won't be holding my breath expecting anything other than something where you would rather use a neon driver instead of one of these..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

i just ordered two of these, i have a sagem sound stick that was handy sometimes, but would take a few goes to get it up and running like its in a sleep mode...

I can't believe what I'm reading here. Do you guys all use these things? What do you use them for? Do you honestly trust them?

I got one as a freebie from a wholesaler, it's rolling round in the bottom of my toolbox underneath all the odds and sods of screws, plugs and clips which are underneath all kinds of other sundry crap.

I can't believe what I'm reading here. Do you guys all use these things? What do you use them for? Do you honestly trust them?

is it non contact voltage detectors on the whole you don't like, or just the £2 chinese variants?!

they are just handy IMO, quick and handy, and time is money. of course with the £2 version i'd prove it every time before i touched bare copper

So if you're proving dead anyway what's the point of it? That £2 could have bought a Pasty and a cup of tea from Greggs or a saveloy dip from Dicksons:)

no sorry i meant i'd check to see if the £2 tester was still working, so for example i'm changing a light in the kitchen, lighting circuit is off, i check for voltage using the £2 tester, if it doesn't light up then i'd check it on a known source i.e the kitchen ring or the DB and if it lit up then i'd crack on, but if it didn't then i'd have to go and get something else to test it with(voltage/continuity tester leads) as the £2 tester has obviously developed a fault! never had one go faulty yet though i've used fluke and metrel ones for the past few years, it's such simple technology if used right i can't see there being a problem with the cheap one either.

no sorry i meant i'd check to see if the £2 tester was still working, so for example i'm changing a light in the kitchen, lighting circuit is off, i check for voltage using the £2 tester, if it doesn't light up then i'd check it on a known source i.e the kitchen ring or the DB and if it lit up then i'd crack on, but if it didn't then i'd have to go and get something else to test it with(voltage/continuity tester leads) as the £2 tester has obviously developed a fault! never had one go faulty yet though i've used fluke and metrel ones for the past few years, it's such simple technology if used right i can't see there being a problem with the cheap one either.

WOW... I would never use one of these to prove dead. I had one given a while ago and it lights up when it wants too.

Ive been using these for years and if used for the job that they are intended they are a useful tool.Would it be wrong to think that most electronic equiptment was indeed made in china anyway so what looks like an immitation fluke may actually be the same spec just bagded up differently,after all your tv sets,pcs etc are all made there.

I use them for a quick reference on fluorescent fittings to see if anything is coming out of the ballast so I know if its the that or the tubes for defo. I found use for them on other little bits and pieces to but I would not trust it to prove dead

just got mine in the post. identical to the fluke one i lost when working in a house when a plumber was there!. as said previously, they've got their place in the great scheme of life and if used correctly, no problem.

Reply to non contact voltage detector for £1.98 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net