Discuss Non Notifiable Work? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

ebow72

-
Reaction score
I am about to place new socket's in a kitchen. I have to move them about six inches up to accommodate her new (to be fitted) kitchen.I am not adding anymore sockets, just moving the existing one's.
So my question is a 2 part job.

1st - Is this still classed as non notifiable work under Part P? It's a bit unclear to me.

2nd - She is not happy I may have to do a bit of chiseling were her Wylex 3036 fuse box is located, so am I right in thinking I can do the following?

I have located the T&E 2.5mm supply to the kitchen and can't pull through new T&E as it seems to be plastered in the wall. It is NOT in conduit. I can use a junction box connection which can be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance. From there supply the sockets using new cable. I am aware I need to place a caution notice at the CCU 'this installation has wiring colours to two versions of BS7671'
I am not Part P registered yet,nor do I pretend to be either. As I have only been doing work which falls under 'Non Notifiable' work, the odd job here and there is what I have been doing to save up for Part P with ELECSA.
I do have Public Liability Insurance too. I would issue a 'Minor Electrical Installation Works' Cert or might this be wrong?

Any advice would be appreciated please.

do the cables to the sockets come down from above?

Am thinking this would attract an Electrical installation Cert because you are 'altering the circuit'. Unsure on the notifiable works as I'm mainly commercial!

Am thinking this would attract an Electrical installation Cert because you are 'altering the circuit'. Unsure on the notifiable works as I'm mainly commercial!

incorrect. altering a circuit calls for a MEWIC, not EIC , which latter is used for a new circuit.

i was thinking if the cables come down from above and all he has to do is shorten them, he might just get away on a like for like. but alteration would mean notifying as you say, spin.

If you are raising sockets and not installing extra, cant you just dig them out to refit them higher, or joint them locally with crimps and heatshrink if they need extending, without having to alter cables at the consumer unit

Your questions have been put in a polite and thorough way,if your installation work is as good as your constructive attitude,you will have no problems when being assessed
icon14.png
icon7.png

Id say if you add cable its an alteration, If you just move it about its Minor works IMO.
And if its on a3036 and you alter the circuit in any way shouldnt you put a RCD on it?

Last edited by a moderator:
incorrect. altering a circuit calls for a MEWIC, not EIC , which latter is used for a new circuit.

Hmmm, I stand to be corrected, but a new circuit, alteration to an existing circuit or an addition to an existing circuit all attract an EIC. Says so on my ECA certs and everything!!!

I am about to place new socket's in a kitchen. I have to move them about six inches up to accommodate her new (to be fitted) kitchen.I am not adding anymore sockets, just moving the existing one's.
So my question is a 2 part job.

1st - Is this still classed as non notifiable work under Part P? It's a bit unclear to me.

2nd - She is not happy I may have to do a bit of chiseling were her Wylex 3036 fuse box is located, so am I right in thinking I can do the following?

I have located the T&E 2.5mm supply to the kitchen and can't pull through new T&E as it seems to be plastered in the wall. It is NOT in conduit. I can use a junction box connection which can be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance. From there supply the sockets using new cable. I am aware I need to place a caution notice at the CCU 'this installation has wiring colours to two versions of BS7671'
I am not Part P registered yet,nor do I pretend to be either. As I have only been doing work which falls under 'Non Notifiable' work, the odd job here and there is what I have been doing to save up for Part P with ELECSA.
I do have Public Liability Insurance too. I would issue a 'Minor Electrical Installation Works' Cert or might this be wrong?

Any advice would be appreciated please.

Modifying a circuit in a kitchen makes (IMHO) an RCD mandatory plus its definitely notifiable

Hmmm, I stand to be corrected, but a new circuit, alteration to an existing circuit or an addition to an existing circuit all attract an EIC. Says so on my ECA certs and everything!!!

yet on a MWC, it asks for details of the modified circuit. don't forget a MWC is an EIC, but in an abbreviated form.

Just my opinion, but the reason to apply an EIC in this circumstance would be that the length of circuit would be altered, therefore changing the R1 + R2 values and therefore Zs values (admittedly for the better!) but it changes the overall characteristics of the circuit. I generally use MWC's only when i've swapped an accessory like for like... am i too harsh??!! It's all about arse covering where I work, and hey, its only a bit more paperwork!!

Yes they do come from above. But I intended to replace the cable like for like but install in oval conduit. I fear the excisting cable might be damaged as it's embedded in plaster. But I'll have a look. But I have a feeling I might have to leave this one now. As it falls under noitifiable work.

i never do a MWC for accessory replacement . no circuit characteristics are altered on a like for like replacement unless it's a protection device .

i never do a MWC for accessory replacement . no circuit characteristics are altered on a like for like replacement unless it's a protection device .

Fair enough...... Lets face it..... it's all about interpretation of the regs and we're all gonna have different interpretations!! thats why i'm enjoying this forum ;o)) but you're wrong IMO LOL!!!

Yes they do come from above. But I intended to replace the cable like for like but install in oval conduit. I fear the excisting cable might be damaged as it's embedded in plaster. But I'll have a look. But I have a feeling I might have to leave this one now. As it falls under noitifiable work.

why should the cables be damaged by being embedded in plaster? an IR test will soon confirm if they are OK. in your place i would just dig out 6" above sockets and fit new sockets. is RCD protection in place?

Thanks guys for all the input, but when I got there this morning, the customers son, had ripped all the sockets off the wall and cut back all the cable, leaving her with no lights or sockets in the lower half of the house.There was bare live cables all over the floor a couple of kids running round too. I can't believe how stupid this guy is. I was able to restore some of the sockets and all the lights, I had a electrician friend of mine come in check and test. The Son, I really can't say what I like done to him, but it involves 230 something or other. Needless to say her sockets haven't been moved at all. But thanks again for all the input, it's very much appreciated.

Ian

Last edited:

Reply to Non Notifiable Work? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net