Discuss Not electrical - suggestion for material in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve spent the day completely stripping my ‘tip-run’ trailer back to the chassis, wire-brush, prime etc. I’ll rebuild the floor and sides with marine ply but it occurs to me that something with a laminate/acrylic kind of top would make for a much easier life/durability but apart from actually putting a separate top sheet of acrylic on top of the ply I’m stumped for ideas - anyone ever come across a material (marine ply / OSB style etc) that’s still in 8x4 sheets but has a plastic/acrylic type top??
74DD1060-6849-48FB-A407-0F94695A7E11.jpeg
EB4C2F72-2981-43F0-B3C2-0B054FA7F7D3.jpeg

Oh….and yes - having failed to find my axle stands those actually are cable rollers!!

Not sure about the timber options but maybe aluminium checker plate would work? 5mm for the deck and 2 or 3mm for the sides.

Not sure about the timber options but maybe aluminium checker plate would work? 5mm for the deck and 2 or 3mm for the sides.
Even 5mm checker plate will bend. I once tried it without a sub floor and the result wasn't pretty after very little time.

Checker plate is great and easy to sweep clean, but best laid on top of marine ply or similar.

Even some of the best trailer builders haven't found a solution that's resistant to UK weather in the long term. Livestock trailers have metal floors, but the noise is incredible if used for carrying random stuff.

I've used this before, good quality and hard wearing!
As with the similar one @James posted, if cut the edge will need treating or it will rot from there.
And it can be very slippery when damp!

Maybe use marine ply and cover it with glassfibre...a couple of layers of woven matting and stippled/rolled with resin. Plus tape and resin the edges as well. It'll last a very long time. My dad built a 32' motor boat with marine ply sheathed with fibreglass in the 1960s and it's still afloat today.

Maybe use marine ply and cover it with glassfibre...a couple of layers of woven matting and stippled/rolled with resin. Plus tape and resin the edges as well. It'll last a very long time. My dad built a 32' motor boat with marine ply sheathed with fibreglass in the 1960s and it's still afloat today.
Now THAT is a darn good idea, thank you. Also means that I can seal the seams where the sides meet and make for easier sweeping out.

The phenolic coated plywoods are expensive but durable. However one factor they all seem to have in common is that despite the embossed texture that some of them offer, they are very slippery. Extra strapping is often needed to prevent loads shifting and shuffling.

Reply to Not electrical - suggestion for material in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net