Discuss Not enough amps maybe????and Rcd tripping in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Firebucket

Morning sparkies:)
Was on a job when his neighbour asked if i could have a quick look at his place, as his power trips of all the time? And his bills have gone up dramatically. Has a home energy meter that tells him he's using power even with every thing off???

5 bed 15 years old no paperwork? SWA to garage but looks like T&E 10mm to shed, shed, shed & somerhouse
It's TN-C-S single phase 100A cutout / meter, 16mm to MET incoming

into connectors (sorry forgot propper name) then split to

DB1 main switch rcd 100A
2 X mcb 40A mira 9Kw shower, then 4 X mcb 32 all rings for Bedrooms, kitchen,lounge, landing,
nothing excessive two Dble sockets per B'room , single oven, couple of computers.

DB2 main 100A Dble pole switch
mcb 20A cooker, mcb 32A 2 13a sockets?, 8 X mcb 6A controlling the lights althought only normal numbers of pendants, RCBO 32A to garage in SWA, RCBO 32A controlling one of the sheds?

Each shed has it's owne DB but they are all in poor condition???!!!

Took a Zs in kitchen 0.54 and 0.43 in lounge both times tripping the RDC (on none trip?)
Zs in last shed (through 3 Db's not rcd protected) was 1.16

It trips regularly but not at or on any perticular socket/ring/time

First step I guess when I go back (paid visit) is take a ZE and get some Zs's as may be all the circuits are leaking making the rcd trip at anything.
The other concern (and sorry to sound dum to the old hands here I'm newish to this lot) Is having DB1 and DB2 with so many ways and not much loading on each, could this be some of the problem?

So knowlegable people considering the lights physically dim when the showers are run where the hell should I start with this mess

Thanks in advance and again sorry for sounding dum (been hiding behind minor works jobs since leaving college!)

Cheers Duncan

Yes also agree a PIR would be the way to go.

Also test the main RCD on DB1 with no load connected and also ramp test. Ramp test again after powering up 1 circuit at a time with equipment connected and see if readings vary. Could be an accumulation of earth leakage on the connected equipment.

Last edited:
Been out today

couldn't get RCD to trip (it was actually a 100A 30Ma) So ramp tested it on it's own, still no joy, Ok so popped in a new one and no trouble on it's own but wouldn't work with all the circuits back in/on, eliminated them all (as they gave good'ish results) bar the kitchen ring. unplugged every thing on the ring and bingo all fine and dandy, turned out to be the Fridge Freezer as well as the old rcd. Did a ring final just to make sure and left with a happy customer,

And more work to come as they want all the shed's power sorting properly:D

Cheers

Duncan

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Not enough amps maybe????and Rcd tripping in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net